 Castle / 18485
Re: why do people hate builders
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 09:35:12 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Daniel Ravenda wrote:
hey. whats up. douse anyone else have a problem with non builder people. many
people see legos as toy and play things and not as art. :(

Why why why. at home I am not aloud to build my parent say it is to babyish.
every time i get a catalog my mom tosses it out. i cant buy anything cause my
dad throws it out and says "i forbid you to waste money on s***". I now find
myself secretly building late at night or when I'm home alone. this is such a
load of bulls***. why why why. I cant take it. did or does anyone else have this
problem. what do I do? I hate this.

There isn't much I can add to all the other nuggets of wisdom that have already
been presented.

My father always taught me never to let other peoples opinions get in the way of
what you like to do.  He said 'the only opinion of yourself that should matter
is your own.'

If you parents don't like you playing with LEGO, well, that's their opinion.
Like others have said, tell them that you're ready to go out smoking or join a
gang if they think LEGO is stunting your developement.

Ask your father if you can go out and buy Grand Theft Auto 3 if you can't buy
LEGO with your money.

My parents are really cool, and never had a problem with me building.  They
never really 'got it', but they let me do it, knowing that there were FAR worse
things out there for me to be involved in.  And then when I started building my
dragons, my towers, my castles, my parents became much more supportive.  They
saw what I could do with my bricks, and that I wasn't just playing around.

I mean, what better mental development tool out there than something hands on
and diverse as LEGO?

My parents have even gone so far as to help finance some of my trips to AFOL
meetings, like TEXLUG meetings and Brickfest.

You just need to get your parents to understand what you do isn't childish or a
waste of time, and might I suggest doing it in a positive way.

--Anthony