 Castle / 18475
Re: why do people hate builders
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 03:19:36 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Daniel Ravenda wrote:
hey. whats up. douse anyone else have a problem with non builder people. many
people see legos as toy and play things and not as art. :(

Why why why. at home I am not aloud to build my parent say it is to babyish.
every time i get a catalog my mom tosses it out. i cant buy anything cause my
dad throws it out and says "i forbid you to waste money on shit". I now find
myself secretly building late at night or when I'm home alone. this is such a
load of bullshit. why why why. I cant take it. did or does anyone else have
this problem. what do I do? I hate this.

Daniel,

There are LEGO builders of all ages and one or two of them even earn a pretty
decent living doing nothing but creating models out of LEGO brick to sell to
corporations.  There are also quite a number of people who use LEGO as a great
way to build serious robots, architectural models, works of art, or even very
complicated mechanisms.  I myself had a project at my last job to write programs
to work with the LEGO MindStorms robotic hardware.  I was actually paid some
pretty good money to play with LEGO all day long.

If I were you, I would look around on the Internet, following links that you
will find here on LUGNET (the center of the LEGO universe) and show your parents
some of the very serious work that people have done using LEGO bricks as their
medium.  Put together a presentation to show them that LEGO is more than just a
child's toy, that it can be a serious learning tool.

You also might want to adjust your attitude a bit.  They say you catch more
flies with honey than with vinegar.  Be polite and mature when you explain this
to them (even if you think they are full of it) and you will find that they will
respond a lot better to what you are telling them.

Oh, by the way, we try to keep the $#@%! language clean up here, as this is an
all-ages discussion forum.  I know you young-uns like that potty-mouth stuff,
but we geezers haven't heard that kind of language since grade school!

- Chris.

p.s.  If your parents still insist that you stop playing with LEGO, tell them
you know at least one 38-year-old who would be happy to buy it from you.