 Castle / 18492
Re: why do people hate builders
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 20:53:34 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I'd pretty much second everything said above.  A couple of additional comments:

I'm a Ph.D. organic chemist in part due to LEGO.  Chemists tend to build lots of
models of molecules using special building sets.  For instance, see here:
http://www-chem.ucdavis.edu/groups/tantillo/2ndTier/OrganicModels.html
Count the nobel laureates in those photos posing with their molecular models.
Shameless plug: Scroll 2/3 of the way down to see my particular take on a
molecular model (and no, I'm not a nobelist :) ).  Of course, model building and
3-dimensional thinking came naturally to me after years as a KFOL.

One point I would disagree with the comments above is the approach of "Look how
many adults play with the brick".  This may not have the effect you want (though
it may).  If someone is already inclined to oppose LEGO, their only response
will be that this large number of adults must be somehow strange, geeky,
developmentally arrested, etc.  For proof, think about the response of
non-science-fiction-fans to Star Trek conventions.  Do you think that these
people say "Oh, all of these adult people are dressing in costumes and speaking
Klingon etc.  Therefore Star Trek must actually be cool."?  Or do they say "Look
at all the freaks!"?*  You might (or you might not) get a similar response to
AFOLs.  Instead of your parents saying "Oh, here's this LUG full of adults.  It
must be okay.  Go ahead.", if they are very anti-brick they may think "Those are
exactly the sort of people we don't want you to associate with."

Just be careful.  I wouldn't try to antagonize your parents or push them too
hard on this.  Keep your nose clean, your grades up, get involved in other
things in school/church/community/etc so they don't think you're a social
misfit. Don't leave bricks on the living room floor where they get stepped on
with bare feet.  Don't ask your parents to pay for your LEGO.  Don't spend too
much of your own money either.  If you have to forego buying new sets for a
time, remember that even with a limited number of pieces you can still build a
lot--your creativity is the only limiting factor, not the bricks in your hands.
Satisfy your LEGO cravings with things like surfing Brickshelf, Lugnet, etc.
L-Draw if you have to stash your bricks in the closet until things calm down.
Etc.  I wouldn't try to sneak around behind their backs, because if it ever
comes out they might slam down hard on your hobby, but discreet building in your
room, not leaving a mess, would probably not ruffle any feathers.

Bruce

*This was in no way to slam Trek fans.  I could have used the example of extreme
sports fans who show up at football games in the snow without shirts with the
team logo painted on their chests, or exercise nuts who spend all their free
time in the gym, or any of those people you see on "The Incurable Collector", or
people who love antiques, or assistant professors of organic chemistry who
actually choose to read chemistry articles for fun ;).  Basically anyone's
"thing" can look odd to people on the outside of the hobby.