 Castle / 18487
Re: why do people hate builders
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 14:47:56 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Steven D. Weiser wrote:
In lugnet.castle, Anthony Sava wrote:
In lugnet.castle, Daniel Ravenda wrote:
hey. whats up. douse anyone else have a problem with non builder people. many
people see legos as toy and play things and not as art. :(

Why why why. at home I am not aloud to build my parent say it is to babyish.
every time i get a catalog my mom tosses it out. i cant buy anything cause my
dad throws it out and says "i forbid you to waste money on s***". I now find
myself secretly building late at night or when I'm home alone. this is such a
load of bulls***. why why why. I cant take it. did or does anyone else have this
problem. what do I do? I hate this.

There isn't much I can add to all the other nuggets of wisdom that have already
been presented.

My father always taught me never to let other peoples opinions get in the way of
what you like to do.  He said 'the only opinion of yourself that should matter
is your own.'

How about a 41 year old just coming out of his dark age 2 years ago after 30
years.
Yes, at age 10 or 11 my parents stopped buying me Lego and I became
uninterested. I thought it was for kids younger than I was at that time.

2 years ago when I went to a GATS show, I saw the local Lego club display. I
hung out with those guys for the entire weekend. I was hooked. I joined the
club, started buying massive amounts of Lego(I can afford to spend 500 a month
on Lego), and started building. And yes, my parents are totally supportive of my
hobby, except for the amount I spend on it. They have also come to several shows
to see what the hype is all about. They were impressed.

See if you can talk mom and dad into taking you to shows. Show them that while
it was originally intended as a childs toy, and still is, we all have the need
to have fun.

Tell them you will keep your spending under control. It will not interfere with
school work or social activities. Set time limits. Even us old geezers have time
limits.

I will now stop my rambling and wish you good luck.

Lego is not just a toy, it is an adventure.

Steve Weiser

Indeed, I've enojoyed reading all these comments.  The only things I can add
are:
1) Lego was named 'Toy of the Century' by Forbes 500 -- I think I remember that
right, and,
2) There is nothing more valuable than imagination or creative thought -- and
that goes for any industry, not just high-tech where a lot of we 'elder folk'
seem to work.  I've hired and fired a lot of people and when it comes down to
it, a college degree does not mean a lot when someone is working for me, it's
how good they are at thinking and most importantly, problem solving.  What do we
need to accomplish, look at the assets on hand, and get the job done.  Pretty
similar to Lego or word problems for that matter.

It's all rather inter-related with how the brain 'holds' a particular problem, I
think.

Here is the suggestion for your father, watch football all day Sunday and Monday
night...while playing with the Lego.  Heck, it's what I do.

Good luck!
Dave O'Hare