 Castle / 18478
Re: why do people hate builders
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.general, lugnet.people
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 04:13:40 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Daniel Ravenda wrote:
hey. whats up. douse anyone else have a problem with non builder people. many
people see legos as toy and play things and not as art. :(

Why why why. at home I am not aloud to build my parent say it is to babyish.
every time i get a catalog my mom tosses it out. i cant buy anything cause my
dad throws it out and says "i forbid you to waste money on sh**". I now find
myself secretly building late at night or when I'm home alone. this is such a
load of bull****. why why why. I cant take it. did or does anyone else have
this problem. what do I do? I hate this.

First let me say that if you want to be taken seriously, cutting out the foul
language will be a big help. It doesn't make anyone sound any more grown up, and
it can damage people's perception of you if used inappropriately. The same can
be said for bad spelling and grammar [1].

That said, men have always had difficulties getting others to accept their
hobbies, no matter what they are. Any hobby can be belittled by those who have
no interest in it. Examples:
Fishing: spending time and money for the *possibility* of catching a fish that
could be purchased more easily at the store.
Hunting: shooting helpless animals for no good reason.
Watching sports: wasting hours watching men chase a ball around a field.
Model railroading: Playing with trains.

With regard to solutions, do not try to convince your parents that your time
spend with LEGO is valuable. That time would be better spent building. And don't
bother pointing out the uselessness of your dad's hobbies either. It will only
make things worse.

My advice would be to find a friend who shares your interest in LEGO, or at
least will not belittle it. Make sure his parents are sympathetic to your plight
(and won't rat you out), and transfer most of your brick to his house. Then ask
if you can go "hang out" with your friend. Also, call LEGO (800-344-LEGO) and
sign up for the catalog again. Give your name, but your friend's address. Then
when the catalog comes, he can just pass it to you at school.

When you move out of your parent's house, your problems will be solved for a
while. But be particular in selecting a life-partner. One who is intolerant of
your hobbies will make life difficult for you once again. And "difficult" may
well be putting it mildly.

Best of luck.

Rick Clark
Adult LEGO Builder for 16 years.

x-FUT to lugnet.people, since this is an issue that is faced by many.

[1] Bad spelling/grammar is like a zit on the face of a supermodel. It distracts
the viewer from what he should be focusing on [2].

[2] Yes, I choose to use prepositions to end sentences with.