 Castle / 18489
Re: why do people hate builders
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 16:36:15 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Daniel Ravenda wrote:
hey. whats up. douse anyone else have a problem with non builder people. many
people see legos as toy and play things and not as art. :(

Why why why.

*Had to snip that unpleasant stuff out*

Speaking from the viewpoint of 30+ years of building, my own experience has
shown ignorance to play a significant role.

The grade school and high school years were tough but there wasn't much of an
online world in the 1970s and 80's.  Only my closest friends knew of my hobby
and thought it was cool.  Those that didn't know of my LEGO hobby would ask of a
model I was sketching and I'd just say "Think about it."

Like others have said, try to have other hobbies/interests as well.  (Surfing in
the middle of winter and coming to class w/ a tan gave my classmates the
impression I wasn't a total nerd.)

I am lucky to have a dad who's an engineer and a mom who has an appreciation of
art and recognize my hobby involves both of their interests.  As such, they had
no prob with my LEGO hobby in my teens and still don't in adulthood.

You have a powerful information tool I didn't have untill my 20's: the internet.
Educate your parents of what exists in the LEGO world and its applications to
the real world with help from the internet.  Don't just say "Mom!  Dad! Come
here and look at this on the screen!"  Put time into researching what others
have presented here and print out what you've found so they can hold a
sheet(better yet several sheets) of paper they can read and see photos just
about anytime anywhere.

Now, it might not work the first time but if you continue to bring information
to present to them then maybe they'll see there is something more to LEGO than
just being some "little kids only" thing.

Hope this helps.

Adr.