 Castle / 18480
Re: why do people hate builders
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 05:50:16 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Daniel Ravenda wrote:
hey. whats up. douse anyone else have a problem with non builder people. many
people see legos as toy and play things and not as art. :(

Why why why. at home I am not aloud to build my parent say it is to babyish.
every time i get a catalog my mom tosses it out. i cant buy anything cause my
dad throws it out and says "i forbid you to waste money on shit". I now find
myself secretly building late at night or when I'm home alone. this is such a
load of bullshit. why why why. I cant take it. did or does anyone else have this
problem. what do I do? I hate this.

Daniel,

I'll let all the comments about language stand--I don't need to rehash
that--you've had enough.

Do you smoke?  If not--tell them you can spend your money on cigarettes or booze
instead of Lego.

Take a quick poll of most AFOL's here.  A high percentage work in some kind of
high-tech or technical field.  I know of engineers, educators, software
programmers, business owners, even artists who have a strong technical
backgrounds who frequent Lugnet--wanna talk about networking for possible job
possibilities?  Even the person who created the FLASH animation program by
Macromedia cites Lego as one of his earliest and most important influences.  I
am an engineer with a background in manufacturing and telecommunications.  As
for my financial status--well, I'm 32, got through college, paid off my student
loans 3 years early, and bought a house when I was 30--all this on my own
salary.

Lego promotes problem solving and 3-dimensional thinking, and there's absolutely
nothing wrong about that.

So, Lego is not a bad thing--but do make sure on how you can "use the system to
your advantage".  Meaning, abide by your parents wishes, but use their own
comments and philisophy to your advantage.  I don't know your parents, so I
can't tell you how to do it--but don't be vengeful about it.

Scott