 General / 42005
Re: Nicknames for favorite LEGO parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 26 Apr 2003 15:07:08 GMT

In lugnet.general, Adrian Egli writes:

"Jeremiah VanderMark" <doggybot_37@yahoo.NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
news:HDxM13.20zn@lugnet.com...

  On a related note, "bricks" and "plates" were foreign concepts to me and
my brother; we always called them "talls" and "flats". Couldn't even be
consistent, let alone proper :)

-jeremiah-

My MOCpage: http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/83

Those were the days- when I really could say I was 12 (WOW, 20 years do fly
by).  My friends and I didn't use the name "talls" but sure did use the name
"flats".  But "flats" were not only used to describe plates but tiles as
well.  It wasn't a prob with the larger plate sizes but how it worked with
smaller ones (2x2, 1x2) I've forgot.

Adr.

Maybe you called them as follows:  My brother and I, in our early years,
called plates "flats," tiles "smooth flats," (or sometimes just "smooth" as
in "smooth 1 x 2") and slope bricks "tiles"  (the last because of Lego S&H
calling slope bricks "roofing tiles").  When I had my first taste of LDraw,
I was understandably confused.  Mostly corrected now.  I also called 1 x X
bricks "thin bricks" and 2 x X bricks "thick bricks."

The 1 x 2 x 1 panels were always "ledges" to me.

I've always thought of this part
http://guide.lugnet.com/partsref/search.cgi?q=3963
as a PA (public address) system or loudspeaker (as opposed to the minifig
loudhailer, which I call a megaphone).  My first taste of this piece was on
police stations and raceways.  I still never recall where it is in LDraw.

I'm curious at some of the names for this part:
http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/x179
I'm not particularly fond of this name, and while modeling it (currently an
unofficial part in the Parts Tracker) I had interesting conversations with a
reviewer on what the bottom details should be called.  I called them "tabs:"
he called them "flares."  I ended up putting both as keywords.

John Riley