 General / 38365
38364  |  38366
Subject:
All The Pretty Colors (Re: The shades of blue (Re: Marsek Blue might be available soon))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.db.brictionary
Date:
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 04:07:18 GMT

In lugnet.general, Thomas Garrison writes:
On Wed, 11 Sep 2002, Mark P wrote:

I think the colors Peeron uses are not 100% accurate, or up-to-date.

Probably. . .TLC seems to come out with new colors all the time, and very
few people have enough variety of sets to make detailed comparisons
(especially since so many obscure colors seem to appear in Scala and
Belville).  Color charts have been done before, but it would be helpful to
have a global chart.  Ideally, it would be as organized and coherent as
the Baseplate chart
http://www.baseplate.com/colors/
with pictures like the BrickLink chart
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogColors.asp
only with uniform pictures taken by the same camera in the same lighting
with a neutral background, and with (perhaps hidden) translating features
like the Peeron chart
http://www.peeron.com/inv/colors

Then, once people had agreed as to completeness and accuracy (and to
names, or at least how to translate names between systems) someone would
have to clear up exactly which colors go in which inventories, and someone
would have to take responsibility for maintaining the chart as TLC makes
ever more colors.  I think it would be a very useful project for the
community. . .

Oh I agree completely. After looking at the different color pages out there
I honestly think Bricklink is the best. That seems to be the only one that
is constantly updated and maintained. Colors there are taken very seriously
among the people who use it, and want to see it continue its claim as the
most complete and comprehensive color list on the web.

All of the other sites (Peeron, Ldraw, Baseplate, Henry's. mine.. etc) are
either vastly out of date or have way few too many colors on them.
Brickilink is the only one that is carefully looked over and tweaked on a
daily basis almost. And Bricklink has the most in-line color names.

So if there was going to be a community standard, Bricklink really should be
it. There is no one person that can keep up with all of the new and
different colors and get examples of them like the entire community over at
Bricklink can - and does.

Where Bricklink depends on sites like peeron and Ldraw for part numbers and
images, I think other sites should depend on Bricklink for colors.... that
is unless Lego gives us a list of what they call their colors, and all of
them... But I think that will never happen - it would be very nice, but
doubtful. So until that day I say look to Bricklink as the "bible" for the
different colors.

Mark P
http://www.landofbricks.com