 General / 36338
Re: Registered Mail went missing!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 2 Apr 2002 03:49:06 GMT

Isn't the whole purpose of registered mail to have
securely delivered and if not to have it traced?

No, this is a common misconception.

It is primarily about proving that the sending/receiving occurred, not about
guaranteeing delivery, and certainly not about finding out where it went.

What you got is proof that the recipient really didn't get your money. If it
was not registered, then the recipient could have received the money and told
you that it hadn't arrived. Similarly, the recipient might be wondering if you
really sent the money, but by using registered mail, you have proof that you
did.

So, by using registered mail, you and the recipient know that both of you have
behaved honourably, and that it is the mail system that is to blame.

Of course, this is cold comfort, if you have done your dough!

Kerry