 General / 36344
Re: Registered Mail went missing!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 2 Apr 2002 12:10:39 GMT

Thanks to everyone who provided info on my folly.  I must admit that it
never occurred to me the letter could go missing while it was under lock
and key.  I was also under the misconception that it could be traced.
This has been a costly lesson.
I've been sending cash Internationally for years via registered mail and
never knew it was illegal.  Can anyone clarify thi?
Thanks for the help,
Brian

Kerry Raymond wrote:

Isn't the whole purpose of registered mail to have
securely delivered and if not to have it traced?

No, this is a common misconception.

It is primarily about proving that the sending/receiving occurred, not about
guaranteeing delivery, and certainly not about finding out where it went.

What you got is proof that the recipient really didn't get your money. If it
was not registered, then the recipient could have received the money and told
you that it hadn't arrived. Similarly, the recipient might be wondering if you
really sent the money, but by using registered mail, you have proof that you
did.

So, by using registered mail, you and the recipient know that both of you have
behaved honourably, and that it is the mail system that is to blame.

Of course, this is cold comfort, if you have done your dough!

Kerry