 General / 34130
Re: Have they done it again?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 22 Nov 2001 23:28:37 GMT

In lugnet.general, Ross Crawford writes:
In lugnet.general, Allan Bedford writes:
In lugnet.general, Ross Crawford writes:
In lugnet.general, Allan Bedford writes:
I'm just curious... not trying to sound ungrateful, but I'm just wondering
if they've done it again?

Allan, I think you're being a little unfair. Specifically

http://news.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=3643
http://news.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=3308
http://news.lugnet.com/lego/announce/?n=38

seem to me to be announcements rather than questions requiring responses, and
as such, according to the guidelines for .lego.direct,
http://news.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=6, it was probably a bit rude for so • many
people to respond in .lego.direct anyway (ducks).

I won't argue with you at all.  You're probably right. I guess my question
should have been, "Is LEGO at all interested in any sort of two way
communication, or will these always just be announcements?"

I guess I'm frustrated because in my replies to these postings I have asked
direct questions, none of which have ever been answered.  Should I stop • asking?

Example:

In my response to the recent question about "What Makes a Legend?" I had a
specific question about some wheels to which Brad was referring.   This made
some difference to the answer that responded to his question.

http://news.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=3480

Well, I'd consider "For example: the old metal-axle wheelsets? Forget it." to
be an indirect answer (though maybe direct confirmation would've been nice).

But as I pointed out in my reply... there were more than one type of "old
metal-axle wheelsets" if you go far enough back.  I'm not trying to be a
pain, honestly... just to get some clarification.  If, in fact, it's the 2x2
bricks with the small (approx. 5/8") wheels, then why were they available
for the 1999 McDonald's sets?  I'm honestly just really really curious.

But my questions never got answered.  Which effectively means that Brad's
question never got answered fully and completely.  Which begs the
question... what sort of information/responses are they looking for?  Do
they already have the decisions made and they're just feeling around for
feedback?  Or are they truly interested in what people have to say?

Hmmmm. Well, so far they've been pretty responsive to some enquiries here - we
got some pretty quick responses when we had problems with S@H Australia
deliveries. I think with a thread like the legends one, maybe just the amount
of information may have precluded them from responding. It could be they just
grabbed all the responses into one big file & someone sifted through them to
put together a report for Brad or something. Difficult to tell.

Very difficult to tell from this end.  We are on the dark side of the one
way glass.  :)

With regard to http://news.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=3462, Brad said "Thanks • in
advance for your help.". I would consider that thanks, wouldn't you?

Umm... honestly?  No.  But I'm a communicator.  I like to communicate.  I
feel like LEGO drops these infograms, then sneaks back behind the one-way
glass to see how we (the test subjects) will react to their news.  They
don't seem to be truly interested in what we have to say, only if we prefer
green over blue etc.

But isn't that what's important to their business? They want to sell sets!

Yes.  I agree... I think.  :)

My point was that they seem to have already made up their minds before
announcing things, then simply drop off the info and head out for the
weekend.  They know most of the feedback on LUGNET is going to be positive
and any negative feedback (as mine often is) simply blows over and can be
forgotten by Monday morning.

They
want as much information as they can get about what sets people will buy! They
happen to have some employees who are AFOLs, but LUGNET is just another source
of marketting information to them.

Take a look at their website.  They do more marketing here than there.
Several times now announcements of products and services have been made to
LUGNET before making it to their own site.  If this is the avenue they have
chosen to communicate with their customers, then I am only trying to oblige
them.

E-mail Brad! I've done that a couple of times, and guess what? He answers! (Or
someone does, anyway.) I can't say who at LD reads the posts here, that's their
business. But I know who reads Brad's e-mail (well, probably).

But Brad has decided to make his announcements in a public discussion forum.
Why would I take it private and fill up his INBOX which is probably already
full enough?  I have nothing to hide when it comes to my criticism.  Quite
the opposite... I am openly vocal about what things I like and all the
things I don't.  I didn't see anywhere in any of Brad's posts that he
requested people to email him directly.   I think unless otherwise specified
that would be a bit forward.

Regards,
Allan B.