 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3480
Re: what makes a legend?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Sat, 20 Oct 2001 04:34:33 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Brad Justus writes:

The topic is: what makes a LEGO Legend a legend? Or, more precisely, if we
cannot bring back a set precisely as it was (or pretty darn close), can it
still qualify as a Legend?

Now we are considering where we go next with this line. We've gone back to
the early 90s with the Metroliner and Club Car, and to 1986 for the Guarded
Inn. Now we'd like to dial the Wayback Machine a bit further back... and
here's where we start to run into "issues."

I hope the Wayback Machine has settings for the 70's.  :)

Without revealing what specific sets we have under consideration (hey, we're
trying to maintain an aura of mystery here!), the dilemma is this: in
general, the farther back we go, the more compromises are necessary in order
to make the set. For example: the old metal-axle wheelsets? Forget it.

Are you referring to the 2x4 black bricks with the 'plug in' wheels that
could go on the long or short sides?  Or are you meaning the 2x2 black
bricks with the preinstalled smaller wheels?  If it's the latter that you're
talking about, weren't these just seen in the McDonald's sets in the summer
of '99?

Or, are you thinking of another set of wheels altogether?

We can bring back almost any set (but before you ask: the Airport Shuttle is
not in the cards -- there's no way to get the motors and track -- and
believe me, I'm as disappointed about this as you are). The thing is, we
can't bring them all back *exactly* as they once were. There are some sets
which are comprised largely of basic elements, with a few rarer bits thrown
in. And there are others which require compromise. And then there are those
which require a whole lot of compromise.

I don't think the level of compromise is as critical as finding sets that
truly and honestly have good solid designs that will stand the test of time.

Next year, we hope to give you at least one opportunity to vote -- from a
short list of candidates -- for the Legend set you'd like to see us make.

Is it safe to assume that this vote will take place at least in part on
LEGO.com and not exclusively on LUGNET?

When we post the contenders we'll be specific about any changes we'll have
to make from the original. But it would be incredibly helpful to us now to
know how far we can go with those changes.

My personal advice is to take a look at the sets from the past with as fresh
an eye as possible.  Hand a 1975 catalog to a 9 year-old kid and see what
set he or she points at first.  See what sets may still hold some interest
to today's audience, given all the changes the world has seen over the last
25 or 30 years.

For example, my guess is that this set:

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/200_1

Wouldn't sell at all.  It's dated, somewhat silly and really not that
interesting.

On the other hand, you might have some success with:

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/565_1

The moon landing set from '75.  It's a wonderful model, a classic theme, and
a sort of one-of-a-kind diorama set if I'm not mistaken.

We've received great input from the community here, and from many of you
individually, on the direction we're taking with products coming from LEGO
Direct. We need some of that input now. Please help us make next year's
Legends everything you want them to be.

If you're looking for other candidates for your list, perhaps you'll
consider one or more of the following:

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/956
The set that laid the foundation for the success of the Expert Builder line.

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/585
The first in a long line of Police Headquarters/Stations.  The line that
unfortunately was recently disgraced by the Jack Stone series.
(This suggestion presumes that those classic 2x2 wheel bricks are available,
and I've tried to ask that question earlier in this posting)

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/357_1
The beautiful and timeless Fire House set.  This, like the Police
Headquarters mentioned above provide lots of 1xX bricks and black plates
with which to build many other buildings and creations.  Only issue may be
the wheels, as previously noted.

But remember one point (which has obviously been lost on the Sculptures
Series) and that is that not every one of these rerelease sets has to cost a
fortune.  Why not reissue some of the tiny gems that many of us may remember
as a first LEGO set?

Such as:
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/611
My very very first set. And also the set that I used in the introduction to
my essay that recently appeared on Fast Company's website
(http://www.fastcompany.com/solo/solo_feature/lego_bedford.html)

or
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/442
My first introduction to the Classic Space series.

or
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/386
If you want a NON-violent and extremely well-designed action set that could
go for a mid-range price.

Similarly,
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/371_3
Offers one of the classic LEGO planes in a set with only 115 pieces.  I flew
this plane for hours as a kid.

I'm sure others can suggest similar small sets, for similar reasons, so I'll
cut my list short at that.

Play Well!

I try Brad, but you folks seem to make it so hard sometimes.  Please tell me
that the team that created the Jack Stone series now share a single basement
office with no windows. They should be forced to look at LEGO bricks all
day, but not allowed to touch any.

Best regards and best wishes for much much success with the Classic Reissues.

Allan B.