 General / 34127
Re: Have they done it again?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 22 Nov 2001 23:03:35 GMT

In lugnet.general, Tim Courtney writes:
"Allan Bedford" <apotomeREMOVE-THIS@altavista.net> wrote in message
news:Gn6Lqw.3L3@lugnet.com...
I'm just curious... not trying to sound ungrateful, but I'm just wondering
if they've done it again?

What I'm referring to is the seemingly repeat performance by LEGO Direct
this past Friday (Nov 16, 2001).

[...]

Now call me critical, call me whatever you like, but I find it a bit odd
that they drop these announcements just before a weekend, let everyone go
ga-ga over them, then just let them hang out there like corks bobbing in • the
ocean.  They start a conversation, but never finish it.  Where I come from
that's a bit rude.

Interesting observation.  I don't know exactly what to make of it, because
for one Brad doesn't strike me as the person who would set stuff up like
that.  To me it could be, on a Friday, after finalizing plans for a release
throughout the week, he posts it when his other work is done and is about to
go home.  These posts were made in the afternoon, NY time (GMT-5, IIRC).

Actually.... I suspect it's just co-incidence.  But it happened to strike me
after the two most recent posts.  I wasn't trying to be "conspiracy guy".
:)  And it wasn't the meat of the issue I was trying to raise anyway... my
apologies for not being more clear.

Now I know that Brad can't possibly respond to each and every reply to his
postings... that would be quite unreasonable. But, if you look at all the
original postings from the company, you'll see that many many people took
time and effort to provide honest eager answers and feedback.  But the
company doesn't seem to have time to even say "thanks".

Yeah, I noticed that too.  It would be nice if they had a person dedicated
to being a community liason.  Engaging in dialogue in a somewhat official
capacity.  The person who could be responsible for replying to the comments
to the announcement - engaging conversation and letting the conversation get
somewhere and develop some solid ideas.  Then run with them.

Here's a way to work the 'liason' person into the budget.  Fire the person
and/or team who developed the Jack Stone line, and use that salary to hire
someone to handle direct communication with their customers.  And no, I'm
not entirely kidding here.

I understand that almost everything they do internally has to remain secret
until it is ready for release - so that could be an issue for someone
participating in online discussions in an official capacity.

But there are many questions/concerns that *could* be answered online that
wouldn't reveal anything... only clarify things/decisions that already exist.

Signed,
Looking for meaningful dialog with the LEGO Company

Same here.  And, I'm also looking for some meaningful cooperation between
the AFOL community and LEGO.  Yep, we've gotten stuff - LTC support, token
event support, but there's so much potential for mutually beneficial
activities and its untapped.  For the sake of time, I'll save going into all
of that for another post.

Actually... I'm looking for more communication between LEGO and *all* their
customers, not just AFOLs.  I myself am NOT an AFOL.  I am a kid fan of LEGO
who just happens to be trapped in an adult body.  I am not part of the AFOL
community.  I do not attend Brickfest-type events.  I do not engage in
selling parts or models for profit.  I just like LEGO bricks... period.

While the communication between LEGO and AFOLs is lovely, I don't think it
addresses the needs/wants/thoughts of many of their other fans and
customers.  And of course, as I've pointed out before... many adults may not
be fans themselves, but are the parents of current and future fans.  I am
only trying to reach out to the company, as an alternative voice... separate
from the AFOL community.

Best regards,
Allan B.