 General / 28673
Re: Use of LEGO on album cover... legal or no?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2001 16:31:21 GMT

Ok, Rev. here's what I've got to say..First of all I like the stuff you have
posted on brickshelf. Secondly the image (wall of heads) could have been
generated from scratch for all anybody knows. You did the right thing by
corresponding with Lego about this issue. I know they almost certainly would
not be lending to your needs, that's too bad because you deserve to use the
image of your choice. Also years ago when I made bussiness cards, the cards
said: "Lego Artist Eric Sophie" , I felt I am an artist and Lego is my
meduim, right? well, The Lego company felt differntly, they said the term
"Lego Artist" made it seem like I worked for the company. Alas, I was
crushed, but because I love Lego , I respected the word of Peter Arakis, the
Lawyer I delt with back then. Some people said "to hell with them, it's not
like your making a whole lot of money so that they may come after you" but
Hey , I do what's right and used the cards unoffically. Good luck with the
band , I'll take some time to check out the web page for your band. Right on
for choosing a Lego design for the album cover. I still think that you
should do what you want.

In lugnet.general, Brendan Powell Smith writes:
Hi, everybody.

Just wanted to fill you guys in on what has happened since I first posted.

A fellow LUGNETer sent me the e-mail address of someone at LEGO who deals
with these sorts of things, and with whom he had dealt successfully in the
past.  I wrote up an e-mail politely explaining my situation, (wanting to
use a MOC on my band's album cover, see above) and asking if there was any
way we could get official permission to do so.  I mentioned that no albums
had been sold with the proposed cover yet, and that we'd be happy to include
any sort of legal disclaimer in the liner notes which clearly stated that
this was NOT a LEGO product, etc.  Finally I also included a link to MOC in
question.

The very next day I received a response that was friendly enough, the only
problem was that I'd given the wrong URL for the MOC photos.  Oops!  The
letter also stated:

"I would be happy to consider your request and provide you with disclaimer
language if the use is approved, once I have confirmed which image you would
like to use."

Sounded good, so I sent off the corrected URL, which if you are interested,
is: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=3502

And two days later I got the response:

-----------------------

"I have taken a look at the image of the model that you want to use and I am
sorry to say that we cannot grant permission for you to use it as your album
cover.

While it is a very creative model, we believe that such a use of our
trademarked and copyrighted minifigures creates too great a risk of consumer
confusion by fostering the misleading impression that The LEGO Group either
created the products you are offering for sale or that your products are in
some way related or endorsed by the LEGO Group.  When I say 'too great a
risk,' I mean that the risk could not be overcome by a simple disclaimer on
the product. In case you are not aware of this, risk of confusion is one of
the elements that a court examines in determining trademark infringement.

In addition, as we are currently in development of music in relation to many
of our products, including the new BIONICLE(tm) line, your use would pose an
even greater risk of confusion.

We believe that such use, while it might not be your intent, would also
improperly trade upon the goodwill that the LEGO Group has built up in its
products and services.

Therefore, we ask that you do not use the proposed model as the cover of
your album.  I hope that as the LEGO(R) enthusiast you appear to be, you can
understand and respect our position, and will take the appropriate steps to
ensure that any improper use of our trademarked and copyrighted minifigures
does not occur. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact
me.  We appreciate your interest in our products and our company.  Play
well!"

-----------------------

Needless to say I am very disappointed.

The crux of their argument is that our album cover runs too great a risk of
creating consumer confusion.  That is a bit hard for me to believe.
Wouldn't any official LEGO product prominently display the world-famous
bright red LEGO logo in several places?  Our proposed album art did not use
that or any other LEGO logo, nor even the word LEGO at all.

According to their view, it's hard to imagine any album cover which features
LEGO in any prominence getting official permission, and that is kind of sad.

I am interested in hearing what other LUGNETers think about this case.  Does
this denial of permission seem reasonable?  Do you think the law is on their
side here?

My band, The Human Heads, has begun work designing a new and different album
art concept which does not use LEGO at all.  At this point we really have no
other choice.  Even if we felt that the law was clearly on our side, we do
not have sufficient time or money to spend on court costs defending ourselves.

In the end, I feel quite sure that in the future LEGO will rue the day that
disaccociated themselves and their products from us.  We firmly believe that
The Human Heads will be the most widely recognized band name in the world by
2005.  @8-D

And isn't it rather disturbing that LEGO is developing music products to go
along with Bionicle, especially after that "We will refocus on our core
business" press release last week?

Well, that's the latest.  Let me know what you think.  And "Play well!"(TM)*

-The Rev. Brendan Powell Smith
http://www.thehumanheads.com

*Use of the patented, tradmarked, copyrighted, and otherwide legally
protected phrase Play well!(TM) in this post is highly illegal and as such I
will be hiding out in Mexico for a week to avoid incarceration by the Space
Police(TM).