 General / 28080
Re: Use of LEGO on album cover... legal or no?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 25 Feb 2001 20:07:01 GMT

In lugnet.general, Richard Marchetti writes:
What is SO wrong with the cd cover design is
that Timmy is practically dead center...
grrr!
-- Richard (Bring me the head of Timmy on a silver platter!)

In lugnet.general, Mark D. McKean writes:
you stuck a Timmy head in the middle! Ugh!

You know, I would think that in a wall full of severed LEGO heads, Timmy is
the first one you guys would want to see up there.  @8-D

Thanks for the comments and advice, though.  I read over the LEGO Fair Play
document.  It was illuminating to read their concerns, but of course did not
dictate exactly what course of action to take.

I've decided to write to LEGO at an e-mail address that's been supplied to
me by a fellow LUGNETer.  I'll let you know the outcome of any response I get.

In lugnet.general, Tony Kilaras writes:
I think the way Sneaker Pimps got away with
it is that very few people know
that the cover was actually a Lego piece.

Maybe that's true, but I sure spotted it at first sight, and I'm sure
thousands of others did too.  @8-)  And it was a big enough hit single at
the time to surely be "above radar", so I have to wonder if they did indeed
have official permission.

I seem to remember there being something on LUGNET's front page about that
CD cover way back about a year ago when I first started visiting LUGNET, but
I couldn't seem to find any mention of it in the archives, hmmmm...

Thanks for the help!

-The Rev. Brendan Powell Smith