 General / 28053
Re: Success Ratio
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.build, lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 24 Feb 2001 22:42:02 GMT

In lugnet.space, Bram Lambrecht writes:
Paul Hartzog writes:
I am wondering,
what's the typical success ratio out there?
am i the only one who doesn't have every
MOC turn out wonderful on the first try ;-)

Well, it takes me a while to come up with a complete MOC, and I usually try
lots of things along the way.  But I don't usually give up once I've got a
substantial part complete.  So I'd say my "success rate" is pretty high,
probably around 80%.
--Bram

I tend to versionize my stuff.  Houses and buildings tend to only go through
one major revision before the demolition man comes along.  Larger buildings
often have several concepts (or "studies") built before I undertake the
building.  The train station I have built evolved from one such study, and some
ideas from another AFOL.  I tend not to throw out ideas once I have started
with them, more likely I will take something apart, and build it slightly
differently, rather than start new again.  The best example I have of this is
the coal unloader, which has gone through 3 complete revisions (and the major
part of the 3rd revision is being kept).  However, some parts and design work
dates back to the first revision (the carrage), little to the 2nd, and some
more from the 3rd.

(The first revision had a all manual pnumatic/electric system, the 2nd had the
same, both with a cable turn over system.  However, the "table" from the first
one is in use in the 3rd one, along with the locking design.  The 3rd major
revision went to a direct motor drive system to tip the table, and ver 3.1 went
to mindstorms control of the pnumatics, along with 3.2 and 3.3 (3 versions of
program/multiplexer)

It does make for a more interesting evolution when the system has been in use
for the last 4 years :)

James