 General / 27080
Re: What do you think of the new Bionicle sets??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 22:54:04 GMT

"Christian Gemuenden" <GECH1@t-online.de> writes:

As fo the new ball-with-axle-hole, that element is included in many
of the Bionicles (Pohatu having tow of them) but only for decorative
reasons.  However, when combining three Bionicles this element gets a
totally new (so far unknwon) function: The element is attached to an
axle on the one side. You need to spin this axle so that the legs are
moving. However, on the other side of the ball-element, it is
attached to a joint so that it can't move that easy. An interesting
idea, it allows you to slow down the gear transmission so that the
legs will not be able to do what they want to, but they'll keep the
position you put them to.

It's an interesting application, but I believe that roughly the same
effect can be achieved with a plain old friction pin.  This many not be
as simple as using one of the new ball-with-cross-axle-hole parts,
though.

I got myself a bionicle myself, and I'm fairly happy with it.  I'm a bit
put off by the large torso element, but all in all the new parts are
fairly interesting.

Do anybody know how the transparent "eye-and-brain" element can be taken
off the "face" element?  Once connected, they appear to be stuck
forever.

I have the blue figure, which has a transparent "mask" element.  Do all
Bionicles have transparent masks?  I kinda prefer the opaque ones, I
think.

The can also included one of those small CD-ROM's.  It has some
nice movies (albeit in QuickTime-format) and some info about the "story"
around the Bionicles.  The software is buggy, of course, but not to the
point where it cannot be run.  It did hang my system, though, but
luckily simply uninstalling it fixed the problems.

Fredrik