 General / 26408
26407  |  26409
Subject:
VERY well said Duq
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 22:23:15 GMT

all of your post was so true, so true,
but not changing the world just because its hard?
that's an easy road to take.  remember yoda?
the dark side is easier, more seductive.
If humans are going to have anything more than a 2 second
attention span its going to be because parents teach
their kids the value of longer term effort.
And what better way than by sitting down all day on Sunday,
and building legos.  after all, its parents w/ short
attention spans for their kids that end up having kids
with short attention spans for everything.

for TLC tho, there's no moral high ground and there's
no win/win situation.  Like it or not, to win new souls,
they'll have to appeal to precisely those attributes that
will cause those same souls to move on to the next toy at
the earliest possible convenience.

but some (few, perhaps, but some) will stay, and they'll
slowly give up the next fad toy to return time and again
to their faithful legos.

and i'll be right there waiting with open hand,
to say "hey there, welcome to the community"

:-)

-paul

In lugnet.dear-lego, Ronald Vallenduuk writes:
One last point: What's the one thing we need for our hobby to survive? TLC
to survive. Now I'm sure they're more than happy with us AFOL's, but to
survive as a company we're not enough. They need young children. And like it
or not (I don't) but children these days have shorter attention spans. Now
you can be very idealistic about this (I was when I was a teacher. Didn't
last long. Neither the idealism nor me as a teacher) and say that TLC should
make challenging sets they take long enjoyable hours to build, but it won't
work. You'd have to change the world for that. I mean: dump MTV, ban
Microwaves, erase Transformers from history. You can't. Sad but true. So we
need that cursed juniorisation for winning new souls, then slowly convince
them that it's fun if building a space shuttle takes all sunday.....

Duq

Sorry for the length of this, I guess I rambled on a bit. Shouldn't drink
when writing.....