 General / 21904
21903  |  21905
Subject:
BETTER than Legoland
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 9 Sep 2000 06:33:20 GMT

I've seen a few comparisons in this thread to some of the sculptures at
Legoland, but I really think this one has them beat.  First off, it's
beautiful, of course, and truly spectacular.  The color treatment looks just
amazing.  But the thing that really sets it apart from the big sculptures at
Legoland is the fact that it isn't done with "brick doubling".

Take a look at closeups of big sculptures at Legoland (and the Mall of
America pictures linked earlier in the thread).  All of the curves progress
two studs at a time, not one.  I believe I heard that they first do a mockup
at 1/2 scale, and then just double that to produce the full scale for the
big sculptures.  Henry didn't do this.  (The fact that he doesn't have an
infinite number of bricks out of which to make the half-scale version is
probably a factor, but nevertheless, his sculpture ends up looking much more
impressive as a result.)

Great job, Henry.

--Travis Cobbs (tcobbs@san.REMOVE.rr.com)

"Henry Lim" <hlim@library.ucla.edu> wrote in message
Well boys and girls, I'm finally done with my large scale, LEGO dinosaur
sculpture.  Come check it out...

http://www.geocities.com/droideka13/Stegosaurus.html

-Henry