 General / 22039
Re: LEGO Stegosaurus Sculpture
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 04:01:26 GMT

In lugnet.general, Henry Lim writes:
But I do have to ask you: how on Earth did you manipulate the sculpture when
it became larger than yourself. i.e. I'm assuming you didn't just build from
the feet up (although quite possible, but man that would take a lot of
foresight and planning); I'm guessing at some point you had to lift it to work
underneath it when it was really heavy. How did you work around that?!

Actually, I did build it from the feet up.  The head and tail were built
separately and attached when I had completed enough of the body to support
them--that was the only time I had to lift sections of the sculpture.  Most of
the big back plates (blades) were also built first, then mounted.  Often I had
to stand on a chair when building.

Check out this photo during an early stage of construction--you can see the
foundation of the legs from which I built upwards:

http://www.geocities.com/droideka13/LUGOLA.html

-Henry

It's kind of funny looking at that picture and thinking of LUGOLA meeting #1
back in March of '99. It feels sooooo long ago. I'm the one under steggy for
those that were curious. That was the day Henry let me (carefully) hold the head
and neck assembly in both arms. If you look very closely behind me and the rear
right leg in that picture, you can see the head (spiny thing) up against the
wall. At that time, the legs were 30+ lbs each, as was the head (it seemed).
Both Henty and I have cracked our heads against steggy at one time or another
with no ill effects to steggy. That concussion wasn't terribly fun though. I had
a lump on the back of my head for a few days. Trust me when I say I was honored
to be injured by an immobile Lego Stegasaurous.

That reminds me, Henry. If Ms. Hepburn isn't too large to bring, I'd love you to
bring that to the meeting. My mother-in-law is an enormous fan and I'm certain
would love to see it. I, for one would also love to see it in the abs, as I've
made several attempts at something similar (different subject, though).

-Dave