 General / 12465
12464  |  12466
Subject:
CLSOTW "voting" (was Re: CLSOTW voting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 05:28:43 GMT

D. Jezek wrote:

This defeats the whole purpose of voting then.  I wonder how much worth a vote
has if Todd is ultimately going to select the site he wants.

Our input is important but it's not merely a popularity contest. A lot
of stuff around here works that way... For instance, Spotlight:

http://www.lugnet.com/?p=spotlight

I for one like it that way. I'd rather trust the judgement of someone
whose aesthetics and sense of what is important has stood the test of
time than devise some sort of 100% fair voting system.

The majority usually is clueless anyway. I prefer a republic to a
democracy. And, if the dictator is truly benevolent and you're not a
citizen with rights to be trampled, there is a lot to be said for
benevolent dictatorships too. There are no citizens here with rights to
be trampled, so this one works pretty good.