 General / 12444
Re: CLSOTW voting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 00:07:28 GMT

In lugnet.general, Todd Lehman writes:

A better voting mechanism will be feasable later when voting is more secure
(via member sign-in, and after there are at least ~500 members or so), but
for now it's still very easy to stuff the ballots.

I see.  Right now a person can submit multiple votes from a single IP.  A not
very effective solution would be to place a cookie on the client's PC after
which they voted once for a specific week they couldn't vote again.  This
would eliminate the less intelligent people from submitting multiple votes but
the other half could just delete the cookie every time they vote.

In fact, when I compared
Huw's site against your site last week, the ballot had been stuffed by 2x in
your case, and that was simply excluding multiple votes from a single IP
address.  Huw's ballot hadn't been stuffed by much at all, and it ended up
winning by a hair after excluding the obvious stuffing.

I would like to clarify that I didn't start this thread because my site wasn't
selected but because it seemed odd that a site won that wasn't listed as one
of the nominees.  I would have posted this even if my site wasn't one of the
nominees.
Thanks Huw for creating the most complete reference site with very high
quality scans that is now the best source of set scans on the net.  He
certainly gets my vote and the CLSOTW review was a well deserved honor.

--Dan