 General / 1053
Re: Met a LEGO rep...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 3 Dec 1998 17:51:13 GMT

Phillip Greco writes:
This raises an interesting question.  We have people from all over the world on
this newsgroup and not one works for Lego?  I know I'm on the net all the time
to see whats going on in my field.  Isn't it hard to believe that not one
employee with info. reads this newsgroup?  And if so, why is it so hush hush?
These are toys for crying out loud, not cold war secrets!  We're consumers >with money... cut us a break here!

<ramble>
Think of what would happen if such an employee disclosed that information here: such a person might be beset with questions, suggestions and criticisms. Even if such people do read this newsgroup, rtl, and/or other ng's, it really is in their best interest to only lurk and not participate in discussions, and to spend more time in the participation of improving the product we all love. When I used to work for a highly competetive radio station, they would pay money for research and focus groups to know how
the on-air product should be improved without ever disclosing to the participants who was getting the benefit of the results, other than XYZ Research Company. One of my favorite things to do back then was to watch people listen to the radio when they didn't know they were watched, because then I got to see real listening habits in motion.

With regard to cold war secrets, lego isn't a field or a nation, it's a billion-dollar corporation in an international marketplace. (1) And as you have pointed out "these are [just] toys for crying out loud", and they're made / distributed by one company that must do certain things in certain ways to survive, which I'm assuming we all want. They don't really owe us anything. While some might argue that in a sense they do owe us quality toys, it is actually TLG itself that has imposed that standard upon the
mselves and we've merely benefited by it. Yet as the toy market itself (you, me, and others) has heavily influenced that standard, we can keep making suggestions and commenting when we get the opportunity. They also measure success at the checkout stand so you can voice your opinion via $$ there too and that speaks volumes. :)
</ramble>

(1) though some might argue that corporations are the new kind of "nation", which in and of itself might actually substantiate "Legoland"

From Tom McDonald
Anti-spam block in place.
http://mbr-hobby.neotown.com/radiotitan/lego/lego.html
radiotitan@SpamThisjuno.com