 Fun / 353
Re: New Crossword Puzzle: 003
Newsgroups:
lugnet.fun
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 05:23:35 GMT

In lugnet.fun, Jeff Johnston writes:

In lugnet.fun, Ross Crawford writes:
I'd never come across the spelling "damosel". I've always spelt it "damsel".
Where does the alternative spelling come from?

It's a more archaic spelling, IIRC, and usually used in plays or poems
where it fits the meter & rhythm better than just 'damsel'.

According to dictionary.com, its etymology is thus:

Middle English damoisele, from Old French damoiselle, from Vulgar Latin
*dominicella, diminutive of domina, lady

Thanks for answering, Jeff.
I should have indicated such in my clue.

-Suz