 Fun / 348
Re: New Crossword Puzzle: 003
Newsgroups:
lugnet.fun
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 16:21:46 GMT

In lugnet.fun, Ross Crawford writes:
In lugnet.fun, Suzanne D. Rich writes:
Hi all,

I've made another interactive crossword puzzle here at LUGNET. You'll notice by
the clues that it's made with the LEGO enthusiast in mind. It runs in Java and
has features for checking your puzzle as you go and for help filling in words
that might be too hard.

Thanks, Suz! Every little thing that relieves some stress is a bonus! But I
had a bit of trouble with this one, I'd never come across the spelling
"damosel". I've always spelt it "damsel". Where does the alternative
spelling come from?

It's a more archaic spelling, IIRC, and usually used in plays or poems
where it fits the meter & rhythm better than just 'damsel'.

According to dictionary.com, its etymology is thus:

Middle English damoisele, from Old French damoiselle, from Vulgar Latin
*dominicella, diminutive of domina, lady