 Fun / 318
Re: Crossword 002
Newsgroups:
lugnet.fun
Date:
Mon, 25 Dec 2000 18:23:51 GMT

In lugnet.fun, Suzanne D. Rich writes:
I agree. I would like to be producing these once per week.

I took up quite a bit of time in building an American-style crossword as 003.
Such a grid is much more difficult to fill. Then I wrote up all the clues for it
(about 75). Just as I was finishing, I discovered a spelling mistake in the
puzzle. A fatal error. This taught me to spell check _before_ writing clues..

Bummer.

I hope you saved it! I don't suppose the word is one where the misspelling
is a common variant or common mistake? I once saw a puzzle where the clue
was of the form "common misspelling of the word that means x", which means
to me that I bet the author did the same thing, or just couldn't get the
right spelling to fit.

Failing that, as a last resort, you could alway do the old acronymic
backformation (send me the word and I will send you an acronym definition
for those letters, it may be corny but it works... I was pretty good at
making up acronyms for any given selection of letters) trick...

These are all things to try to rescue your work. They may not be compatible
with your sense of perfection but were offered in .fun in the hopes of some
salvage of a lot of effort!