 Fun / 341
Re: New Crossword Puzzle: 003
Newsgroups:
lugnet.fun
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 19:23:52 GMT

In lugnet.fun, Suzanne D. Rich writes:
While I like the idea you've suggested, I'm still a bit wary of narrowing down
the wordlists for any particular puzzle. First because it would make it more
difficult to fill the grids (we're teetering on the edge now), and secondly
because I fear that people may not wish to attempt a puzzle outside their area
of interest. For example, I'm a townie who would feel a bit intimidated by a
robotics puzzle.

I hear ya... I put together one for castle just for kicks-- it was tough to
get things that were ONLY castle related... But mainly it looks pretty
ugly... Definitely not on par with the 3 existing ones-- totally asymmetric
and full of irregular 'chunks' of space that I couldn't use... I managed to
fit in 37 clues, but it only fills up 138 of the 225 squares :( ... And I
imagine that not everyone would get good use out of it-- JUST the castle
heads would...

It's rather too bad that we couldn't have a 'generator' for them... I.E.
enter in 1000 or so theme-related words (submitted via email from lots of
users or something, clues optional probably-- though that would make it
easier on the person doing the generating...) and then have a program do
'best fits' of the available words... Ah well... that's just me
daydreaming... pay me no mind :)

One thing for sure, I'd love to rcv words and clues, or even just words, for
addition into the crossword puzzle maker's database. The software is amazingly
complex. It's designed for a person to use it over and over, making it easier
as they go. Plus! it can make many other types of word puzzles. Some look
like a lot of fun (shaped puzzles, picture clues, anagrams, etc.)

? You're not describing what I described above were you?! Cool! (if so) I'll
have to check that out....

If you want to check out the software, visit
  http://www.x-word.com/output.html

Ooo! Ooo! It DOES do it! Cool!

I bought the Professional version and additional word lists.

Awww... It costs money :(

Guess I'll have to wait for a gnu version :)

Still, though... It'd be relatively easy to code up something in Perl that
took user input from an HTML form or email, by which Lugnet members could
submit words & clues for generation-- They do say it can take straight text
files to generate word lists....

But of course, if it gets TOO automated, their licensing might come into
play... It's not really clear but I'd bet it could violate #5 on their licence:
http://www.x-word.com/Licence.txt

Oh well... cool nonetheless... but mostly just the Grid Filler, which costs
all the money... :( I mighta bought it for around $50...

DaveE