 Education / *50 (-50)
  Re: Problems with RCX Robolab and PowerMacs 6400/200 and 5500/225

Thanks for the reply, I really enjoyed your book. My son (age 13) also enjoyed it. He's starting out using ROBOLAB, but your book has sparked an interest in C (like) programming. I look forward to a sequel. (...) (24 years ago, 6-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.edu, lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab, lugnet.edu, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Problems with RCX Robolab and PowerMacs 6400/200 and 5500/225

Sigh.... ... . How the $%^&* will we ever get smart, interested, technical professionals to really make a difference in the schools when they run into this. THis. This...! Sigh... I am using RIS1.0 on 6 old 486 machines with WIN95. The school was (...) (24 years ago, 6-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.edu, lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab, lugnet.edu, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Problems with RCX Robolab and PowerMacs 6400/200 and 5500/225

(...) This one works for me just fine. Dw (24 years ago, 3-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.edu, lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab, lugnet.edu, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Problems with RCX Robolab and PowerMacs 6400/200 and 5500/225

Hello to all, Thanks for all those who wrote in with suggestions for how to get my RCX bricks to work with the PowerMac 5500s that I was having trouble with. Here's a summary of my experiences and how I eventually got enough working machine to teach (...) (24 years ago, 3-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.edu, lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab, lugnet.edu, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Problems with RCX Robolab and PowerMacs 6400/200 and 5500/225

I believe Fred Martin ran into similar problems and the serial extension did indeed help. I think his write-up of the issue is somewhere on his site: (URL) Baum (...) (24 years ago, 3-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.edu, lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab, lugnet.edu, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Problems with RCX Robolab and PowerMacs 6400/200 and 5500/225

I had a similar problem and suggested used the three cable method you mentioned with great success. Before I tried this I sent an inquiry to Dacta and got this response "There is an issue with some Macintosh serial ports that we are currently (...) (24 years ago, 3-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.edu, lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab, lugnet.edu, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Educators: Vote for RCX and ROBOLAB over iBook!

Go to (URL) click on the voting page. Robolab is up against School master, Site Central, and Virtual Language Lab, while the hardware is up against the iBook. You can only vote if you are an education professional and are familar with these (...) (25 years ago, 29-Nov-99, to lugnet.edu, lugnet.robotics.edu, lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab)

  Re: Teaching robotics

(...) I have been teaching lego robotics for the last year. I started last year teaching 3rd - 5th graders after school. This year I'm teaching a group of home-schooled middle schoolers during the day and I started a group at my son's elementary (...) (25 years ago, 21-Nov-99, to lugnet.edu, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.edu)

  Re: Teaching robotics

(...) I've been thinking about doing exactly the same thing at my daughter's school (she is in 3rd grade). I was planning to follow some of the curriculum guides from Pitsco Lego-Dacta ((2 URLs) and follow the Robolab links to get to the curriculum (...) (25 years ago, 21-Nov-99, to lugnet.edu, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.edu)

  RE: Problems with RCX Robolab and PowerMacs 6400/200 and 5500/225

Paul, I've snipped all of the text about how RoboLab and the Mac might not play nicely together. I have had great results with my own system at my office, and then when I did the tutorial at MIT, things failed miserably. I turned off the large (...) (25 years ago, 21-Nov-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.edu, lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab, lugnet.edu, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Problems with RCX Robolab and PowerMacs 6400/200 and 5500/225

You could try using NQC (or MacNQC) and see if it works any better. I know in the long run you want to get Robolab working, but testing MacNQC would at least separate a Robolab-only problem from more general problems (serial port problems, cables, (...) (25 years ago, 20-Nov-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.edu, lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab, lugnet.edu, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Problems with RCX Robolab and PowerMacs 6400/200 and 5500/225

Hello, I'm teaching an RCX-based programming class using the Robolab software to a group of 19 4th,5th and 6th graders. I've been trying to get the Robolab software installed and running on the Powermac 5500/225s and 6400/200s owned by the school. (...) (25 years ago, 20-Nov-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.edu, lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab, lugnet.edu, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  fixed links on gear math curriculum

thanks to Terry for pointing out the bad links to images at my middle school site. they are fixed. (URL) are RCX and non-RCX LEGO curriculum ideas here, as well as "mixed-media" stuff between woodworking and LEGO, and also just straight woodworking (...) (25 years ago, 11-Nov-99, to lugnet.robotics.edu, lugnet.edu)

  Re: lego Technic "class"

We're having a lot of fun with this Technic "class" I'm running at my daughter's school. One of the teens who do the sessions with me rushed back in after today's had finished, hugged me, and said "thankyou, THANKYOU for doing this class!!!!!" and (...) (25 years ago, 11-Nov-99, to lugnet.edu, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: Teaching robotics

(...) I don't think it is long enough by far. My non-robotics Technic session runs 2 hours and it's not long enough: I have them fighting to get in the door early and trying to pry them off the Lego and clear up at the end is... difficult. Most of (...) (25 years ago, 11-Nov-99, to lugnet.edu, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.edu)

  Re: Teaching robotics

(...) That's my posting so let me just qualify that your ambition will decide this question. If you make "guided tours" through the Mindstorms Universe - then you can of course do it in 1-hour steps. However, I think Mindstorms is at it's best when (...) (25 years ago, 10-Nov-99, to lugnet.edu, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.edu)

  Teaching robotics

I have started an after-school robotics club at my kids' elementary school. I will be spending one hour a week each with groups of K-2nd grade and 3rd-5th grade, 6 kids in each group, working with the RIS set. The school is a gifted magnet school (...) (25 years ago, 10-Nov-99, to lugnet.edu, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.edu)

  Re: lego Technic "class"

two more links that i didn't post here yet: (URL) and Non-Robotic LEGO stuff, just like the LDAPS and CEEO site) and (URL) Mindstorms In Education site -Ben (...) (25 years ago, 10-Nov-99, to lugnet.edu)

  Next Generation Forum

Some of you may be interested in taking a look at Next Generation Forum, which is a networking project looking at creativity in learning. LEGO is sponsor for the work which however is not directed towards LEGO products as such although I am sure (...) (25 years ago, 9-Nov-99, to lugnet.edu)

  Re: LEGO Research, HELP!

(URL) site is changing hands soon, so it might be down if you try) -Ben (...) (25 years ago, 9-Nov-99, to lugnet.edu)

  Re: lego Technic "class"

Here's an interesting look at some lesson plans for Kindergarten, First and Second Grades: (URL) Regards, Terry King ...In The Woods In Vermont (25 years ago, 8-Nov-99, to lugnet.edu)

  Re: lego Technic "class"

John, I really agree. The challenge is to effectively combine the inquiry of kids with enough information and structure so that they keep advancing in their skills and perspective. I can tell you that in the last 10 years I have slowly moved to less (...) (25 years ago, 8-Nov-99, to lugnet.edu)

  Re: lego Technic "class"

Thanks, Terry, for the intro to "eduspeak" and the NASA Curriculum. One thing I would like to see a Technic curriculum do is balance teaching of "learning objectives" with time to just explore and "tinker." Learning some basic mechanical, (...) (25 years ago, 8-Nov-99, to lugnet.edu)

  Re: LEGO Research, HELP!

Ben Erwin <berwin@tufts.edu> wrote in article <38260129.7FC0FE7D@t...ts.edu>... (...) dozens of (...) the (...) view (...) come (...) we (...) Ben, You've certainly got my interest... are any of these materials online? This sounds like great stuff. (...) (25 years ago, 8-Nov-99, to lugnet.edu)

  Re: LEGO Research, HELP!

The Art of LEGO Design is a great resource, but there also have been dozens of journal articles, memos, books, and conference proceedings written about the educational use of LEGO that might provide you with a more formalized view about the (...) (25 years ago, 7-Nov-99, to lugnet.edu)

  Re: lego Technic "class"

my site has a slew of LEGO ideas: (URL) (this site is moving, literally, soon, but will be back up later) (...) (25 years ago, 7-Nov-99, to lugnet.edu)

  Re: LEGO Research, HELP!

Hello Ricky, Ricky Wong <rwong@acsu.buffalo.edu> wrote in article <FKp371.253@lugnet.com>... (...) time! I don't know that this is concrete 'proof' that LEGO is educational (though it certainly is), however you may want to check out this article by (...) (25 years ago, 5-Nov-99, to lugnet.edu)

  Re: lego Technic "class"

John, Kevin and others, I have been significantly confused about a lot of EduSpeak terms over the last few years as I have tried to do more, as an Engineer, in School settings. Maybe someday I'll write an Engineers Guide to EduSpeak! I told a (...) (25 years ago, 5-Nov-99, to lugnet.edu)

  Re: lego Technic "class"

(...) At the moment I'm just letting them play, and showing them stuff (mostly the many ways of driving a vehicle wth a motor) when they need help. The age range is about 7 to 15 (this is an alternative school, and most classes and sessions are open (...) (25 years ago, 4-Nov-99, to lugnet.edu)

  Re: lego Technic "class"

Kevin, I've been thinking (ever since MindFest) about doing something like this for my son's 3rd grade gifted class. Did you develop a curriculum, or do you just let the kids play and offer help? What age kids take part? Do you have any plans to add (...) (25 years ago, 4-Nov-99, to lugnet.edu)

  Re: Lego used to teach the blind

I'd be interested in reading it Silas Adam Yulish wrote in message <381B0F98.C45F4EC2@ee.net>... (...) (25 years ago, 3-Nov-99, to lugnet.general, lugnet.edu)

  Re: lego Technic "class"

(...) When I first noticed the motor/dynamo effect I used it to create a puppet "Furby" driven by cams. It's on my Mindstorms page: (URL) (25 years ago, 2-Nov-99, to lugnet.edu, lugnet.technic)

  Mindfest Panel on "Why are so few Girls Tinkering"??

Subject: Mindfest Panel on "Why are so few Girls Tinkering"?? (This was passed along from Richard Wright <rwright@pcsedu.com> and added to this discussion with his permission, by Terry King): The topic of the panel was "Why are so few girls (...) (25 years ago, 31-Oct-99, to lugnet.edu)

  Re: Magic Trick / lego Technic "class"

Todd Lehman wrote in message <381b40f0.144473789@...et.com>... (...) One tip I have for those of you who'd like to build your own magic trick. To make sure that the electric plate is never unintentionally revealed, I used tiles instead of bricks on (...) (25 years ago, 30-Oct-99, to lugnet.build, lugnet.edu, lugnet.general, lugnet.technic)

  Re: lego Technic "class"

(...) Cool! I'd never thought of doing that. Just showed it to my daughter and she was very interested and we had a good conversation about motors and generators a a result. I'll show the kids when I go in next week and see what results. Kevin (25 years ago, 30-Oct-99, to lugnet.edu, lugnet.technic)

  Re: #1031 Simple Machines

Gosh, that looks useful Miles. Thanks! Kevin (25 years ago, 30-Oct-99, to lugnet.edu)

  #1031 Simple Machines

Scans of old set # 1031 at (URL) instructions for educational models of simple machines. The mostly simple instructions include: - How Technic parts fit together - Triangles for strength - Gears changing speed and direction - Pulley wheels and lifts (...) (25 years ago, 30-Oct-99, to lugnet.edu)

  Re: Magic Trick / lego Technic "class"

(...) that I've seen for this principle. If I were a teacher at an elementary school, I'd be going doubly nuts -- what a great introduction to motors!! So, you discovered the principle of wired-together motors more or less by accident?--then, while (...) (25 years ago, 30-Oct-99, to lugnet.build, lugnet.edu, lugnet.general, lugnet.technic)

  Lego used to teach the blind

In the inaugural issue of Ohio Today (Fall 1999), page 18 has an article about how a teacher at OU uses lego to teach math to blind students. They were into Algebra, and even had representations for polynomials. I'm not sure what I'll need to do to (...) (25 years ago, 30-Oct-99, to lugnet.general, lugnet.edu)

  Re: Magic Trick / lego Technic "class"

Todd Lehman wrote in message <38193bcf.12068213@l...et.com>... (...) ___...___ I discovered that about two weeks ago... I was working on my LEGO based laser light show using two motors and silver anniversary bricks as mirrors. I hooked up both (...) (25 years ago, 30-Oct-99, to lugnet.build, lugnet.edu, lugnet.general, lugnet.technic)

  Re: lego Technic "class"

(...) Generally not. I've built robotic platforms that use a pair of motors to drive the wheels so that the robot can move "straight" or turn in place. I've found that the motors typically have large variations in speed that make the robot veer to (...) (25 years ago, 29-Oct-99, to lugnet.edu, lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: lego Technic "class"

(...) I had a chance to play with Todd's creation for awhile. It was really cool! (The best part was the 20-foot control tether that he made so that it could be operated from a balcony high above.) I thought the controller was cool too -- to get the (...) (25 years ago, 29-Oct-99, to lugnet.edu, lugnet.technic)

  Re: lego Technic "class" ( About Motors )

Todd, the stuff with the motors is Very interesting. A friend has two small motors/generators with cranks that he bought at some expensive educational materials store for about $25 I think. They run small pilot lamps well, and can do the (...) (25 years ago, 29-Oct-99, to lugnet.edu, lugnet.technic)

  Re: lego Technic "class"

I've thought about using two motors for steering. Do they turn at exectly the same rate? (25 years ago, 29-Oct-99, to lugnet.edu, lugnet.technic)

  Re: lego Technic "class"

(...) One other idea on that same line of thought -- the very first thing I wanted to do as soon as I got the two motors hooked together and working (which really only takes a couple of seconds) was to make the wire longer -- to put more distance (...) (25 years ago, 29-Oct-99, to lugnet.edu, lugnet.technic)

  Re: lego Technic "class"

(...) Last week I built a little non-robot vehicle using four of the new internally geared-down Technic 9v motors. Two of the motors were connected directly to the wheels, the other two motors served as human-cranked generators to power the motors (...) (25 years ago, 29-Oct-99, to lugnet.edu, lugnet.technic)

  lego Technic "class"

Hey, am I the first to post here? Cool! A few weeks ago I started running a Technic building session once a week for 2 hours at my daughter's school. This is an alternative school (non-coercive academically) where parents volunteer half a day a (...) (25 years ago, 29-Oct-99, to lugnet.edu)

  New newsgroups lugnet.robotics.edu & lugnet.edu

lugnet.robotics.edu and lugnet.edu have just been created. For background information on how these came to be, please see the following messages and related threads: (URL) <-- especially this one (URL) <-- and this one (3 URLs) new discussion groups (...) (25 years ago, 28-Oct-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, lugnet.robotics.events, lugnet.robotics.edu, lugnet.edu, lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, lugnet.dacta, lugnet.general, lugnet.announce)

  ------( Terms of use for lugnet.com )------

TERMS OF USE FOR LUGNET.COM OVERVIEW AND DEFINITIONS lugnet.com ("LUGNET") is a privately owned Internet site designed and run primarily for the benefit of those who enjoy building with, discussing, collecting, buying & selling, trading, and (...) (25 years ago, 28-Oct-99, to lugnet.edu)

  ------( Welcome to lugnet.edu )------

Welcome to lugnet.edu, a LUGNET discussion group. CHARTER/PURPOSE: lugnet.edu (group): Broad educational issues and meta-topics for teachers, students, engineers, classroom volunteers, mentors, hackers, hobbyists, kids, and anyone who wants to learn (...) (25 years ago, 28-Oct-99, to lugnet.edu)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact