 Dear LEGO / 777
Re: Brad Justus is real
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 21:30:12 GMT

Jasper Janssen <jasper@janssen.dynip.com> wrote:
Point 1, he uses IE on Windows NT (if we can believe the first
message, at least). So no remote breaking in. Which leaves physical
access - which is IMHO rather unlikely.

Why not? BO2K runs on Windows NT and Win2000 boxes. (The new version of
Netbus does too, but I'm not sure if that's publicly available yet.)

It is possible to _say_ your packet comes from somewhere it doesn't.
However, the packet's routing information will _still_ contain the
real IP address.
You need full-duplex comms to use SMTP, UUCP, HTTP, or NNTP.

But if you anticipate what packets the remote side will return, you can
generate the appropriate responses. Admittedly, very difficult to do when
you're doing something complicated, but within the realm of possibility.

And, routing information may be in the packets, but it doesn't get logged,
so that's no help.