 Dear LEGO / 5006
Re: Shop@Home Nightmare! (from a now ex-AFOL)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 2004 21:13:21 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Jake McKee wrote:
   In lugnet.market.shopping, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
   In lugnet.market.shopping, Larry Lesser wrote:

   As far as TLC call them direct in Enfield. Call the long distance number and ask to speak to a supervisor. Try to get a fresh person. If it doesn’t work you can always pull the card of asking to speak to Jake.

You may well get a “Jake who?”.. he doesn’t sit in Enfield and may not be in their phone system. Also I am not sure that Jake can (or should) help in specific cases. He doesn’t work for Shop at Home. He’s also not necessarily tasked with resolving specifics, is he?

I seriously doubt that you’d get a “Jake who?” from anyone but the rollover call center. I worked and lived in Enfield for two years and have traveled back and forth there regularly for a year before and a year after. I’ve worked with and around the call center staff for many years now.

That said, I’m certainly not the right one to resolve this issue. If you’re ever having problems actually getting resolution, then I’m happy to try to help out, but it sounds like resolution is completed or nearly completed.

It sounds like a resolution has either been delivered or forthcoming. I’m always happy, however, to help try to get you in touch with the right people to resolve issues like this that aren’t already on the right path.

To ensure that a resolution is set and we learn from this incident, I sent it on to the right folks in the call center upon reading the post this morning.

Hopefully this issue will be taken care of to your satisfaction immediately.

Jake (from Denmark)
---
Jake McKee
Community Liaison
LEGO Community Development

As you’ve heard many times from other AFOLs, we have a great track record with customer service. We’re very proud of our customer service record and team. But as proud as we are, that team constantly works to improve that record. Personally, I’m always surprised at the lengths they go to on that front.

Jake
---
Jake McKee
Community Liaison
LEGO Community Development

I guess thanks are in order to you Jake for looking in on this for me. I was not looking for any kind of special intervention to resolve this issue, which is why I didn’t use any of my “pull” with employees I know in the first place.

My point is I am just an average person who enjoys Lego toys. I do not abuse my connections and affiliations for personal gain and would never expect Jake or anyone to get parts for me. I want to be able to order just like any other costumer and have a good experience. This has not always been the case and there’s only so many times you can chalk it up to being an anomoly.

For example, I have repeatedly asked for my orders to be packed better, because these bulk part shipments tend to burst in transit. They are packed in single-wall cardboard boxes and sealed with just a single piece of tape on the top and bottom. I even reiterated this when I made my last order. Yet, it arrived today, with the usual shoddy packing, and split open on one of the seams. Makes you wonder if anyone even pays attention to what you tell customer service anyway? Luckily, this time it seems not of the parts packs spilled out, as has happened many times before.

Still, I find it hard to blame any one individual for the shortcomines of the company as a whole. I don’t hold anyone responsible, but the corporate culture that created it. I really like Jake and just about everyone I’ve met at Lego, yet the problems of the company are way beyond any of their control. I actually applaud the efforts of people like Jake who make attempts to do good with customers, but even they can’t hold back the crushing weight of bad decisions made way over their heads and without their knowledge. I even feel bad for the poor customer service people who have to deal with my the impatience I’ve developed over the years.

I know I have some sort of celebrity status here, but set aside the fact that I designed a set, and I am just another customer like anyone else. Up until the last year, I was an extremely loyal customer, with 30 years of Lego purchase under my belt. I was excited when Lego Direct started to actually take notice of long time customers such as myslf (and other AFOL’s out there). Yet, something that started out so promising just kind of fizzled and seems to have almost died out. The promise of a huge selction of bulk bricks through Shop@Home turned into an exlcusive train-club-only or know-the-right-person thing. That disgusts me and shame on all the elite AFOL’s that helped create this situation too. And what happened to more My Own Creation sets? From the reaction of this community at least, it was the most popular and exciting idea Lego had done in years.

Then of course there was the color changes, which literally caused my heart to sink and prompted me not to pick up a brick for most of the last year. Almost all of my life I have been collecting gray elements for castles and ships, but then to suddenly learn that the new parts would no longer match my collection of 30 years, was just a real disappointment. It was a big slap in the face and an eye opener to the fact that the company leadership really does not care about the average person or even it’s own play system. It’s all about supply chain, bottom line, and making a quick buck selling cheap plastic toys to kids (What’s next? Child labor in South America?). The ironic part is that most kids I know these days don’t like to build with Lego, because the dummbed down bricks actually make it harder for them to make what they want to.

Anyway, there’s a whole lot more at stake here than just a spoiled AFOL having a temper tantrum over a fouled up order. For me, the Lego system finally and ungloriously died when the 2004 sets rolled out, but this last S@H experience was the final nail in the coffin, at least for this once loyal costomer. I’ll continue to build with the parts I have, but I don’t expect to make any further purchases.