 Marketplace / Shopping / 11958
Re: Shop@Home Nightmare! (from a now ex-AFOL)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 2004 15:31:17 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.market.shopping, Daniel Siskind wrote:

<snip>

customer service) I do not plan to buy any more LEGO products for myself,
friends, or family (In fact I  haven’t bought any LEGO sets at all since the
great 2004 gray brick debacle). At this point, I’m feeling really used, abused,
and totally unamused.

Daniel Siskind

an ex-AFOL

Are you sure this wasn't a PayPal issue?  I remember reading a while back that
when you use PayPal to purchase something, PayPal 'blocks off' the monetary
ammount from your credit card first, processes the sale, then charges your
credit card, but not releasing the 'blocked off' portion until the process is
complete, thus effectively, at one point during the transaction, having used
double the purchase price on your credit card.

I know I've had a few run-ins with this issue with PayPal and their solution to
me was to make sure that my credit card had enough clearance for double the
purchase price.  Yeah, when I was told that, I stopped using them.

On the other hand, LEGO Shop @ Home--I have used their services in Enfield well
over 50 times and have as yet to be disappointed.  One time when their call
center was really busy, and I was transferred to their overflow call center in
California, the folks in California didn't seem to know what a S@H Weekly phone
special was, or how I could get the discount offered.  I just waited a half hour
and called back to Enfield.

Almost every other company I've ordered from state 2-3 weeks for shipping, and
they seem to take great zeal into holding to that time-frame.  That said, if I
order something from S@H on a Monday, 90 percent of the time I'll get the
package by Thursday or Friday (and that's even getting it across the border into
Canada) and at the latest by the following Tuesday.

Anyway, once again I pipe up with a "I appreciate TLC" story.  Well, I still do.
Like almost any business or agency (after 3 months of playing the 'wait on hold
whilst I talk to my supervisor' game with the Ministry of Transportation,
Ontario, I finally got my truck legal again, but that's another story), there
are bound to be screw-ups.  When a company as large as TLC does business, there
are bound to be issues--I can't even fathom a guess as to how many transactions
they process daily, but I'd say it numbers in the thousands on thousands
world-wide.  If one or two get screwed up, but then fixed, then I'm willing to
cut them some slack.

Over the years, how many times have you interacted with TLC?  How many times
have you placed orders?  It sounds like you have purchased many bricks from many
different sources over the years, and now that they screwed up something once,
but in the end remedied the situation, you basically give up?

Maybe it's just me, but it sounds as if you were looking for something to be
pissed about--"the colour change was bad enough but look what they did to me
here!  I'm done with them!!"  I'm sorry, but that doesn't cut it--if you don't
like the hobby anymore, be honest about it and just stop--do what's best for
you.  But acrimoniously ranting about it on LUGNET is just sour grapes--you know
it's like kicking an anthill and running away.

I've had 35ish years of enjoyment with TLC and their product.  I see no sign of
my appreciation disappearing in the future, no matter what the company does.
They've already given me these years of fun, and no matter what tyey do, they
can't take those years away from me.  And I still have the bricks I own
today--and they can't take those, either.  Even if the company does a complete
changeover and starts selling wooden yo-yos again, it just doesn't matter.  Look
at what they did and remember the times when you had fun creating with LEGO
bricks.  To me, that's the important bit.

Anyway, when it ceases to be fun, when all you have is animosity and unadultered
hatred for the company, it's time to get out and find something else that you
like.  Life's too short for dwelling on what pisses you off.

There.  I've said too much once again :)

Dave K