 Marketplace / Shopping / 11972
Re: Shop@Home Nightmare! (from a now ex-AFOL)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 2004 21:29:21 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Daniel Siskind wrote:

<snip>

You are way off the mark here. I love the building system, have been playing
with it for over 20 years. Yet I find it impossible to give any more money to a
company has little regard for its cutomers other than making a profit from them
and maintaining it's squeky clean public image.

As for bad dealings with poor customer service, this is definitely not my first
- not even close. I don't even want to go into past nightmares, which have
happened too many times to be simply anomolies. I can understand the ocassional
screw up, but for my experience has been otherwise. I never complained before,
because I like the company's product.

Eh, I've been off-base before, but that's the way the message presented itself
to me.  You've stated that you've had various negative dealings with TLC--my
dealings with them have been almost totally positive.

I see what I consider to be an extraordinary effort by the company to have 'a
relationship' with AFOL's--effort, I might add, that probably doesn't add much
market value to their fiscal bottom line, in my opinion.  However, we've seen
the effort--call the efforts 'Jake' or 'Legends' or 'BNSF', these are directed
(mostly) at the Adult Fans of LEGO.  Can you name one other company in the world
that has a liason between the fans and the company--one like Jake?  A company
that says, "Hey--what sets do you want to see re-released?  We'll try to get it
out there for you!"  They didn't have to do these things to make profits.  I'm
sure we've contributed to the revenue of the company, but, again this is all my
personal opinion, we, as Adults, should start acting like it, and understand
that the little tiny tail (us) should not be wagging the dog.

When something goes awry, as it does in life, you work at correcting it.  I also
don't mind the venting, 'cause that's what friends are for--allowing you to
'blow off steam'--diffuse your anger in a safe area where it won't hurt anyone
else (vis a vis ranting about MTO issues in rtl).  But emphatically stating in a
LEGO user group that TLC blows because they didn't listen to you about the
colour change, and that they don't respect you, and that they screwed you due to
what is fundamentally a clerical error, and they aren't listening to you when
you call to work it out, and that you're pissed at them and you're not going to
give them any more business, well, as stated--sour grapes.

I'm surprised (but no, not really) that Jake stepped in here to set the wheels
in motion to resolve this.  So there you are.  My little opinion--a 'nicely'
worded posting explaining the situation would have netted the same result and
would have had far less negative fallout.

Dave K
-is this more an o.t-d thing?  how to 'win friends and influence people'?