 Marketplace / Shopping / 11981
Re: Shop@Home Nightmare! (from a now ex-AFOL)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sun, 12 Dec 2004 06:18:42 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Daniel Siskind wrote:

">
Later that night I received an email saying my order was not going to be
shipped, because my credit card had been declined. I thought this strange,
because the card had been authorized and approved earlier in the day. So, I
checked Paypal (to which my card is connected to) and sure enough, my account
had been debited not once, but twice for the order. With only about $500 in the
account, the second attempt was declined."
This is normal for paypal. If I use my paypal card at a gas pump it will show up
with two charges on my account. The first charge is the authorization the gas
company does. The second is the actual purchase for the gas. The first charge
normally stays until it "times out" which is 11 days for paypal. This is all in
the way the credit card companies process transactions. Not all credit card
companies do this and not all merchants preauthorize your card.

I had a problem with a motel authorizing and then charging my card in this
way(over $1500.00). I called the credit card company and they removed the
authorization without any problems.

I take it as just another sign at how bad Paypal is at holding your money.

Don't shoot Lego just yet. Although it does sound like you got poor service on
the phone. I would say most merchants don’t even know how a credit card gets
charged. I had UPS attempt to charge $14.00 to my account 8 times! When I called
UPS they swore that they only charge items once. I later found out they only
take your info and then it goes off to an outside company to get processed.