Subject:
Theme crossovers (Re: Airships (Re: Magic/Majick section of CW))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.org.cw, lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 2000 21:40:21 GMT

In lugnet.castle.org.cw, Pawel Nazarewicz writes:

My problem is how to justify the existence and operation of airships.  As
first I thought "Magic!", but that doesn't really do the concept justice.  My
next thought was that each airship has to have crystals (found in the AQ and
RR sets) which have levitation powers.  They are hooked up to special
levers and such - making them independent from any magician and single source.

<snip other details>

Anyone else given this thought?

-- Pawel

I'll be amazed if you haven't read any of Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover
novels because some of your ideas parallel hers.  There are a couple dozen
books covering the long history of the planet Darkover - basically harsh
environment, metal-poor, little industry, largely medieval culture.  Some of
the inhabitants have psionic talents that can be amplified or even stored in
hard-to-find matrix crystals.  In certain periods of the history there is
considerable technology revolving around this including airships, mining,
communications, weapons, healing, etc.

This series also demonstrates how to cross over with something like a Space
World.  The chronologically later books deal with Darkover's discovery
(well, rediscovery actually) by a highly technological galactic federation.
On this score I'd also have to recommend Anne McCafrey's Pern series.  It
has a similar basic outline:  a colony ship gone astray, civilization
doesn't know anyone survives, science & technology regress, life goes on
primitively for a couple thousand years until a sudden reintroduction of
technology.  Only on Pern they simply unearth some technical remnants and
don't actually re-establish communications with the galaxy.

Anyone who can't imagine Castle/Space cross overs, get reading!  The idea is
pretty simple:  Space folk normally fly to other space worlds while Castle
folk use transdimensional gates or some such to get to other castle worlds.
It stands to reason that Space folk could also fly to an occasional Castle
world and Castle folk could magic themselves to the occasional Space world.

Since I've regressed to theme crossovers I've crossposted this to .space.
Please follow-up appropriately.

John