Re: Nonhuman poll
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.org.cw
Date:
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 13:25:27 GMT

In lugnet.castle.org.cw, Leonard Hoffman writes:
My question is, for the various types of non-human (or not normal minifigs),
how do you incorporate them into your world?

I use many of the nonhumans in fairly standard fashion.  For example, Gungan
heads are lizard men, which tend to live in wet, marshy areas.  Most tribes are
pretty much still in the stone age, some living fairly egrarian lifestiles,
while others prey upon travellers and local human settlements.  While not
really stupid, they don't nurture learning, and so are superstitious and
ignorant.  A few tribes have gained an appreciation for modern (modern to my
world, that is) culture and civilization.  They have built stone structures and
towns in or near their swamps, and have centers for learnig and teaching.
However, all of these tribes but one have used this to their advantage in
raiding human settlements and waging war.  The one exeption forged a peace
treaty with the reigning monarch, and have very friendly relations to all local
human populations.  Merchants from this tribe can be seen all over the kingdom.

Orcs, which use the Gringott goblin heads on a full minifig body, tend to live
in rugged mountainous areas, although some live in dark, thick forests that
have few or no elves.  Somewhat more civilized than lizard men, orcs are much
more troublesome to local humans.  As of yet, no orc tribes have tried to make
peace treaties with any humans, and it is suspected that any individuals that
show pacifist attitudes are killed while children.

I haven't quite decided on what Hagrids will be, although I'm thinking maybe a
race of giant mountain men.  They're too short to be "real" giants, IMO, so
they'll probably just be very large humans.  Beyond that, I haven't really
thought much about it, other than maybe making them live as typical woodsmen.

The Harry Potter trolls I decided would make better Ogres, since they don't
really look like how I've envisioned trolls.  All I have so far is that they
are basically like orcs in personality, but they are larger, less intellignet,
and loners.  They will work together or with orcs, though, when they feel it is
worthwhile.

I currently don't have a use for the Martians, Battle Droids (may end up being
sand or clay golems or something; I think beige doesn't work for stone), C3PO
(may become Brass Golems, but the torso and legs work well as armor),
Chewbacca, Ewoks, Watto, or Yoda.

Also, beyond the odd looking figs.. what other non-human groups do you have
in your world?

Well, I have Elves, which really don't have any features that distinguish them
from regular human minifigs, and I'll be making some Dwarves eventually.  Other
than that, I can't think of anything.  :)

Jeff