Re: Nonhuman2: Interaction?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.org.cw
Date:
Thu, 24 Jan 2002 18:54:19 GMT

Lenny,

As you and others have already mentioned, it's really up to the balladeers to
determine how their characters/races interact when (and if) they meet. The only
guidance I've seen from Castle World on this is that if you want to use another
person's characters or creations in a story, get their permission first. So, if
you want to write a story where your characters will meet another person's
characters, contact that person and work something out together. If you want to
create a non-human race that looks the same as another person's, you could
contact that person and work out how the races are related. Or, if your races
are different and will never meet, you don't really have to come up with an
explanation for their similar appearance.

Let's look at the example of the D'oks and the Trrologs which you mentioned,
two races which Anthony Sava and I developed independently, but both use the
Gungan figure for. For reference:

   Trrolog - http://www.buffnet.net/~beakman/lego/castle/trrologs.htm
   D'ok - http://www.geocities.com/savatheaggie/monster.html

There are some similarities, such as both being somewhat reptilian, and living
in a desert environment (Anthony, I just noticed that for the first time when I
double-checked your website. Great minds must think alike!). However, I
envision the Trrologs as having human level intelligence, whereas Anthony
depicts the D'oks as having less than human intelligence. One possible
explanation for this (which I haven't run by Anthony yet, these are just my
thoughts so far), is that originally, the D'oks and Trrologs were the same
race. Years ago, the Trrologs traveled from the Deserts of Kahlan (Anthony's
world) to The Great Desert (my world). There, the Trrologs' intelligence
increased, as they lived close to and interacted with a more advanced race in
The Great Desert, called the Bal-Surat (see
http://www.buffnet.net/~beakman/lego/castle/isle-chapter2.htm). Now, if I
wanted to publish that as the "official" explanation for how the D'oks and
Trrologs were related, I'd have to see if that was okay with Anthony first,
since it involves his creation. And, if for some reason the Trrologs and D'oks
were to ever meet, Anthony and I would just have to work out together how they
would react.

Hope this was helpful to you.

Steve

The Great Desert - http://www.buffnet.net/~beakman/lego/castle/index.htm

In lugnet.castle.org.cw, Leonard Hoffman writes:
thank you everyone for the responces on this.  until a few days ago i was a
strict people-only kinda guy, but then i thought it might be cool to have a
different world (unconnected to current, human-only place) where there were
lots of different species. and from there send some different people to IOM.

So heres my question: Would there be a problem if a D'Ok met a Trrolog? Would
the D'ok think the Trrolog was a d'ok?  Would it be considered that they are
both the same species but different breeds or tribes?

It seems to me there is an issue here and I'm wondering how Castleworlders
would solve it.

and something else, kinda related: how would interaction work between someone
who had lots of wizards and stuff and someone who didn't believe in magic as a
force that could effect his characters (like would spells still work, etc?)

-im sure the answer is that the two.. whats it called.. balladeers? would work
it out between themselves.. but id like to hear some thoughts on this if you
don't mind.

thanks again!
peace and equality!
-lenny