 Castle / Castle Organizations / 41
Re: gregor tower
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.org
Date:
Sat, 15 Jul 2000 07:29:41 GMT

In lugnet.castle.org, Jamie Obrien writes:
WOW, words fail me, now only if you could lDraw it!!

I've got a couple o-questions:

1> i'm working on a biggie right now, but balance and mass seem to be a major
problem. Did you start ground up, or added levels whole?

on this one, it was ground-up.  i had no idea where it was going.

2> How did you overcome the stresses on the base and lower levels? Do you get
any blow outs from bricks, or do the arches more or less hold it strong?

  in the pit part of the base, i made two panels from 1x1 bricks (like the
coaster in the ultimate lego book). they brace the baseplate really well.
they can be seen:

http://brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=8537

3> How do you move it (Gateway is too big too move now, god help me (mostly
from Mum!))?

  as long as it's picked up by the white railings on the second floor, the
tower can be carried, but it takes a bit of concentration to keep it balanced.

4> I want to see this place under siege. An army on the move against this thing
would make a brill scene. Oh, what about Boofy Vampire Flayer!

  ~ ah! just you wait!  it will be sieged, indeed!  and those are some tough
walls to scale! plus, gregor tower floats in the air over a lake!

5> Where do you get all the grey arches from? (eBay will be the death of mois!)

  i never do e-bay, i just buy lots of sets! plenty of great people to buy
from right here on lugnet.

Jamie
<I think my jaw is on the flaw somewhere, ah, who needs it to build!>

  thanks, jamie!

  later ~ craig~