 Castle / 9117
Re: Castle accessories arrived
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 24 May 2001 17:31:11 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
In lugnet.castle, James Brown writes:
(wishing he'd heard about this soon enough to get some himself, instead of
having to corner the second-hand market)

  I don't know how much your own LEGO collecting habits are like
  this, but I know that most "primary" buyers of rare or limited
  quantity items spend a great deal of time, energy, and sometimes
  money to reconnoiter and to position themselves.  I know that when
  I go out buying items on deep clearance, I've sometimes spent dozens
  of hours sitting online or shopping around in a given week, making
  lists and notes and cultivating contacts with retail staff and
  management.  So it's not just a matter of luck in general, IMHO--
  But in the case of the 5138s, my timing was completely 100% dumb
  luck, so there may be something to it.  Just the week before I'd
  been dreaming about more shako hats for my Red Imperials.  :)

I used to put a lot of time and energy into hunting down good deals, but
I've got a very limited area to scout, as far as a "primary" market goes.  I
also have scaled back a lot on on-line buying because it's such a hassle
getting it done from Canada.  I've found that even fantastic on-line offers
become merely "good" deals by the time I've figured out shipping, conversion and
GST.(1)  I'm also cheaper than I used to be (mostly because I've got much of
what I want).

But stuff like this current 5138 thing, that's just a matter of right place,
right time, and I wasn't one of the lucky ones.  It happens, I'm not going
to whine about it (much;).

  Was 5138 included in the "some quantities sent to US S@H in small
  numbers" batch?  I recall a note from someone with item #s and
  quantities.  If you can, call the respective S@Hs from time to
  time and ask--some things vanish and reappear as quantities are
  adjusted on the fly, only through the phone people (a la trains
  set 5200, which I finally own some of after coveting them for
  years and years and finding them "unavailable" on the Web when
  the big Pack Rush began).

I am, in fact, doing so. :)  When there's something I want, and know it
might show up, I'm willing to make a little of my own luck. ;)

James

1: $10 Sith's from eToys ended up being ~$15 when all was said and done, for
example