 Castle / 3282
Re: Inn/tavern teaser
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sat, 11 Mar 2000 15:49:36 GMT

I'll try to answer a few posts in one. (Don't feel like replying to each
one  :-)

As soon as I read all the posts I went to rebuilding... now some more writing
before I hit the books:

In lugnet.castle, Eric Kingsley writes:
Shiri,

You are off to a good start here and I am flattered that you are using my Inn
for some inspiration.  Like I have said before my Inn didn't even start as an
Inn and it just sort of evolved into what it is.

Hmmm... what did it start as? Just a house?

First to answer some of your questions.

1.  You said you wanted to add a line of color.  I obviously agree here seeing
that I tend to do this a lot especially when working with gray.  Of course I
don't know what your collection is like but my first suggestion would be to
use
large plates.  That way you can kill 2 birds with one stone.  Just put the
plates at the level of the floor for the second floor.  Now you have both your
line and a floor.  Again I don't know what you have for supplies but some of
the classic sets have large numbers of Blue plates so that is one idea.

That's a great idea! I'll probably do that, I don't have enough plates right
now anyhow... so I'll order a sup. pack or two.

2.  You said you were unsure about your windows.  I kind of like them.  I
don't
know if you have arched windows you can use but that might be the finishing
touch you need.  If you have the red ones from Night Lords Castle that would
also add some color to your creation.  I would also suggest staying with this
style window for a smaller building because sometimes the 1x4x3 windows can
overwhelm a building this size.  They worked well for my Inn but that was
helped by the size of the Inn.

I like the windows too. The design was just one of many I'd pondered (I'll put
up some window thoughts in .build.arch soon) but I favored it *because* it was
the size of the 2x1x2.3 windows. I tried the red ones earlier, they didn't
look too good. Now I tried again (after I'd built around the windows) and they
look much better. The framing around them makes them seem less intimidating
(somehow I envision those windows - even the latice ones - as jail
windows... ;-).

I wish there were such windows in blue and green, I can definitely see myself
using those colors... grey is nice, but lacks the color when in a grey
building.

Now for some possible suggestions.

1.  I see you are having your doors open inward.  I have kind of mixed
feelings
about this for a couple of reasons.  I actually hadn't even though of doing
this myself until I saw some other MOC's that used the doors this way.  First
find that if you are planning an interior having the doors open inward takes
up
a lot of space.  Especially in a smaller building where space is at a premium
having the doors open outward can save interior space.  Second I think I just
like the look of the doors on the outside of the building better.

I realise with your columns that might be hard to do without a rework in
design
so you may or may not want to try this.

Thanks! In fact I wasn't sure if I should put the doors facing inward or out
but my first thought was "in, because the doors won't be able to go out with
the columns". Now I see how that can be possible. (I'm biased because I just
don't like the look of doors that open outward).
As I mentioned, I went to reworking the Inn immediately and moved the columns
a bit to the right. I must say that the doors look nicer opening out, even to
my narrow mind ;-)

About the columns: These were a combination of some thoughts that were thrown
around lugnet long ago and some work of my own. Basically the top part of the
column (above the slopes) evolved after long-forgotten discussion about the
black 2x2x12 columns. Someone suggested that TLC could've used a 2x2 brick
with 2x2 rounds on top instead of the POOP (in that person's mind) used.
He/she suggested to use a technic axle for strength if appropriate. I liked
the idea but hadn't enough rounds of one color at the time. After dismanteling
parts of my Big Rig (1) I found I had TONS of grey 2x2 rounds and
the idea popped to mind immediately.
I thought about adding the slopes for appearent strength and, well, just for
looks (I like it!).
(Glad you liked it too, Pawel!)

2.  Don't get discouraged I think I reworked (disassembled and restarted) my
Inn countless times before I got the look I wanted.  I always have to remind
myself that this is LEGO and that you loose nothing by taking something apart
or reworking an archetectural element.

That does not mean I think you need to rework your Inn because I think you
have
a good start.  Just remember though that when you continue working on it not
get discouraged and if a part of the Inn does not work for you don't be afraid
to change it even if it involves major surgury.  I had to preform major
surgury
on my Inn quite a few times.  While it was hard to do and often times parts
that I did like fell apart and had to be put back together in the end it was
worth the effort because I am now very happy with the way the Inn has turned
out.  (Except it is not a modular as I had planned so some rework might have
be done before I can do the interior).

Thanks for the encouragement, I'll keep that in mind! I've already did some of
the to rework the doors in.

Anyway I think you are off to a great start and I can't wait to see your
project progress.

Thanks!

Ravi, I tend to do minifigs a lot too. They are the thing that originally
brought me out of my builder's block (ie, lack of ideas :-) because I
absolutely HAD to create them myself, there were no instructions...

John, thanks for the suggestions. I like the idea of the connected kitchen but
I do want to keep the stable. The inn is (or will be) very reputable, if so
small, because of the excellent conditions, so many people try to get rooms.
Noblemen tend to visit here, and those often have more than one horse ;-)

Rob - yes, I'm planning on a bar. I'd like to see pics of your inn if you have
any!

Bruce, I don't have much plans for the window ledge... maybe flowers? :-)
About the second floor, I might support it with the wall that'll divide the
kitchen from the tavern.

Thanks to everyone about the comments. I really love to hear what people
think, as the saying goes: "Two minds are better than one, and tens minds are
better by a ton"... ;-)  (OK, so I made the last part up, who cares :)

-Shiri

(1) That set broke my shelf-wear record. It was left alone for about 6 months,
except for some small, specific parts that were taken bit by bit. (The cat was
the first to go ;-)