 Castle / 3280
Re: Inn/tavern teaser
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sat, 11 Mar 2000 15:15:38 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Eric Kingsley writes:
In lugnet.castle, Shiri Dori writes:
I actually got some building done today... wow!
I haven't really built something for a loooong time. Lion's Cove was an
exception - but short-lived. I set my expectations waaaay too high that time
and so was bound to be disappointed.

So I decided to take a smaller scale project. A tavern/inn seemed very
reasonable when made at a small size (nothing as big as Eric K.'s amazing • Inn)
because characters are bound to just pass thru for no apparent reason.

Here are some preliminary results:
http://www.geocities.com/shiri_lego/Inn.html

Description included within the page. Please LMKWYT.

Shiri,

You are off to a good start here and I am flattered that you are using my Inn
for some inspiration.  Like I have said before my Inn didn't even start as an
Inn and it just sort of evolved into what it is.

First to answer some of your questions. • <snip>
That does not mean I think you need to rework your Inn because I think you • have
a good start.  Just remember though that when you continue working on it not • to
get discouraged and if a part of the Inn does not work for you don't be afraid
to change it even if it involves major surgury.  I had to preform major • surgury
on my Inn quite a few times.  While it was hard to do and often times parts
that I did like fell apart and had to be put back together in the end it was
worth the effort because I am now very happy with the way the Inn has turned
out.  (Except it is not a modular as I had planned so some rework might have • to
be done before I can do the interior).

Anyway I think you are off to a great start and I can't wait to see your
project progress.

Keep on Building,

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/

View My Creations at:
http://www.nelug.org/members/kingsley/

I'm gonna chime in and only add to Mr. Kingsley's comments about rebuilding.
You've popped over my site a few times, (or you've said you had). The Temple
of Technic was built half way, disassembled mostly for an architectural
change, reassembled mostly, (through most of the second floor), taken aprart
down to just the rudiments of up to the second floor, (to change the gabled
end which I messed with about 4 or 5 times to get it the way I wanted it),
then the roof, done once, and tore apart to get it just right. Total rebuilds
in that project:about 2.5 to 3. Actual restarts: 7ish, (IIRC). The blue
station I just finished, copied from the plans of 2150? Sorta. I look at it. I
even emulated portions of the floor/foundation. Changes, loads. Initial build
was fine, if fine is everytime you move it it fall apart. I reworked it 3 or 4
times to get what I wanted, especially the up office windows. (oh, check
brickshelf's recent files.. ) You will probably find that your best work is
stuff that you have to redo because you stumbled on an idea you saw, or a
piece you ran across while building, and the rework to put it in so that it
looks right to you. (Ok, I'll fess. The initial build was 2 weeks ago today,
once I got home from GATS: most of the initial structure so that I could show
WAMALUG my idea on Sun evening when I showed up for tear down, and had been
working off-and-on on it for the remaining period of time).

Good luck, and keep building.
Rich
--
Have Fun! C-Ya!

Legoman34

*****
Legoman34 (Richard W. Schamus)... (No, I don't work for TLC, but I want
to...)
Card carrying LUGNET MEMBER: #70
Visit http://www.wamalug.org &
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Castle/1334
...(the wait is over...)
..."The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself." ...
*****