 Castle / 3288
Re: Inn/tavern teaser
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sat, 11 Mar 2000 18:54:38 GMT

You are off to a good start here and I am flattered that you are using my Inn
for some inspiration.  Like I have said before my Inn didn't even start as an
Inn and it just sort of evolved into what it is.

Hmmm... what did it start as? Just a house?

Actually it started out as a barracks, couldn't you tell? :-).

Seriously it did start out as a barracks.  It was mostly just an experiment in
finding a use for the new 3x4x5 castle walls.  Although I did use 4 of the new
castle walls it is obviously not a barracks.

I would say I made the shift from barracks to inn about a week into the project
when I was just not getting anywhere with the barracks idea.  I was just
looking at the front of what I had which was just the right hand side of the
front of the building with the whole first floor and the columns on the second
floor with a different window design between the columns.  I also had bars in
the windows instead of mullions and shutters.

I just stared and stared and then it hit me to switch gears and go with an Inn.
I don't know what it was that made me decide it looked more like an Inn but I
am glad that whatever it was did hit me because I really like the Inn.  It is
one of a very few of my creations that I like more every time I see it.  The
others include my Church, B-Wing, Gonk, and my Space Walker.  All of which are
still assembled (only 1 of the B-Wings are still assembled).

Like I said after the NELUG setup at TCS I will probably rework the Inn to make
it more modular to give easier access to the interior but I have no plans right
now to change the exterior.

Just an interesting though on reworking creations.  I recently did a quick
study on the number of failed creations I had and the number of creations that
really materialised and I would guess that between 70 to 80% of all the
projects I start never actually get completed (as much as any LEGO project ever
is completed).  So I am dealing in Baseball averages hear where I fail 7 of
every 10 times I start a project.  OK so fail is a strong word because I almost
always learn something from a project even when I don't finish it but 7 out of
10 projects never get finished and get dismantaled before they ever get
published.

One day I would like to do something like what you are doing and publish every
step of a project just so I have a documented record of all the changes and
missteps I took before the project was finished.  (I really wish I had done
this with my Inn because I think it would be extremely interesting).

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/

View My Creations at: