 Castle / 18471
    why do people hate builders —Daniel Ravenda
   hey. whats up. douse anyone else have a problem with non builder people. many people see legos as toy and play things and not as art. :( Why why why. at home I am not aloud to build my parent say it is to babyish. every time i get a catalog my mom (...) (21 years ago, 12-Nov-03, to lugnet.castle)

        Re: why do people hate builders —Frank Kopanitsanos
     I have never had that problem, and i am 17, but have often had friends tell me that my Lego hobby was "for kids" i never really acknowledged it at all because i am having fun building. My parents have never really tried to keep me from building, but (...) (21 years ago, 12-Nov-03, to lugnet.castle)

        Re: why do people hate builders —Rick Hallman
     (...) I understand your concerns, but this is a family-oriented group made to be a welcome place for anyone, so next time, can you please refrain from the language? Rick (21 years ago, 12-Nov-03, to lugnet.castle, FTX)

        Re: why do people hate builders —Jeff Szklennik
     (...) I've had people say things like "you're too old for that", until I tell them about the creations the community does & the fact that adults work FOR LEGO as the modelbuilders; then the questioning people usually think of Legoland parks and say (...) (21 years ago, 12-Nov-03, to lugnet.castle)

        Re: why do people hate builders —Chris Phillips
     (...) Daniel, There are LEGO builders of all ages and one or two of them even earn a pretty decent living doing nothing but creating models out of LEGO brick to sell to corporations. There are also quite a number of people who use LEGO as a great (...) (21 years ago, 12-Nov-03, to lugnet.castle)

        Re: why do people hate builders —Sean Devolites
     (...) I dont get that problem from my folks but I do get it from friends sometimes, and I agree its a load of bullshizzle (trying not to curse here). It can really cause you to wanna give up the hobby sometimes but after awhile you just ignore what (...) (21 years ago, 12-Nov-03, to lugnet.castle)

        Re: why do people hate builders —Kevin Blocksidge
     (...) These problems are why many people entire a "dark age". I can't really give you any specific advice, as I don't know your exact situation. However, it terms of general advice.... Make sure your building does not interfere with school work. (...) (21 years ago, 12-Nov-03, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.people)

        Re: why do people hate builders —Rick Clark
     (...) First let me say that if you want to be taken seriously, cutting out the foul language will be a big help. It doesn't make anyone sound any more grown up, and it can damage people's perception of you if used inappropriately. The same can be (...) (21 years ago, 12-Nov-03, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.general, lugnet.people)

        Re: why do people hate builders —Joe Franco
     (...) Hang in there... Although my situation wasn't as bad as your situation, my parents didn't really care for me to start building...and in some cases, playing with Lego. I entered a small dark-age a few years ago, threw my Lego into plastic bins, (...) (21 years ago, 12-Nov-03, to lugnet.castle)

        Re: why do people hate builders —Scott Lyttle
     (...) Daniel, I'll let all the comments about language stand--I don't need to rehash that--you've had enough. Do you smoke? If not--tell them you can spend your money on cigarettes or booze instead of Lego. Take a quick poll of most AFOL's here. A (...) (21 years ago, 12-Nov-03, to lugnet.castle)

        Re: why do people hate builders —Anthony Sava
     (...) There isn't much I can add to all the other nuggets of wisdom that have already been presented. My father always taught me never to let other peoples opinions get in the way of what you like to do. He said 'the only opinion of yourself that (...) (21 years ago, 12-Nov-03, to lugnet.castle)

         Re: why do people hate builders —Steven D. Weiser
     (...) How about a 41 year old just coming out of his dark age 2 years ago after 30 years. Yes, at age 10 or 11 my parents stopped buying me Lego and I became uninterested. I thought it was for kids younger than I was at that time. 2 years ago when I (...) (21 years ago, 12-Nov-03, to lugnet.castle)

         Re: why do people hate builders —Dave O'Hare
     (...) Indeed, I've enojoyed reading all these comments. The only things I can add are: 1) Lego was named 'Toy of the Century' by Forbes 500 -- I think I remember that right, and, 2) There is nothing more valuable than imagination or creative thought (...) (21 years ago, 12-Nov-03, to lugnet.castle)

        Re: why do people hate builders —John Gerlach
     (...) A couple of suggestions: Is there an AFOL club in your area? Perhaps if you could show your parents that there are "responsible adults" playing with Lego, they would allow you to attend club events occasionally. Second, you have a computer or (...) (21 years ago, 12-Nov-03, to lugnet.castle)

        Re: why do people hate builders —Adrian Egli
     (...) *Had to snip that unpleasant stuff out* Speaking from the viewpoint of 30+ years of building, my own experience has shown ignorance to play a significant role. The grade school and high school years were tough but there wasn't much of an (...) (21 years ago, 12-Nov-03, to lugnet.castle)

        Re: why do people hate builders —Thomas Avery
     (...) The next time you're told that your interest in LEGO is babyish, throw this at them: • There are tons of adults who do this. I'm only one example (www.texbrick.com) • I show people, including co-workers, my models and I've never received any (...) (21 years ago, 12-Nov-03, to lugnet.castle)

         Re: why do people hate builders —Frank Filz
     I just thought I'd add one more bit about adults building with LEGO. When I first arrived here in Portland, I was somewhat amazed to see LEGO building tables in the conference rooms at the old Informix (now IBM) office building. Of course despite (...) (21 years ago, 12-Nov-03, to lugnet.castle)

        Re: why do people hate builders —Bruce Hietbrink
     I'd pretty much second everything said above. A couple of additional comments: I'm a Ph.D. organic chemist in part due to LEGO. Chemists tend to build lots of models of molecules using special building sets. For instance, see here: (URL) the nobel (...) (21 years ago, 12-Nov-03, to lugnet.castle)

         Re: why do people hate builders —Steven D. Weiser
     (...) Thanks for clearing up that bit about Star Trek fans. I was about to beam myself home, put on my Starfleet uniform, grab my phaser and tricorder, jump in my personal warp capable shuttle and hunt you down across the galaxy if necessary. Steven (...) (21 years ago, 12-Nov-03, to lugnet.castle)

        Re: why do people hate builders —John-Paul Enaje
     (...) Why not show them that people as old as 60 years old still "play and build" with Lego. Show them the people involved in Brickshelf.com, as well as BrickLink.com. There are picture of ADULTS buildings, collecting, and buying Lego if they need (...) (21 years ago, 13-Nov-03, to lugnet.castle)

        Re: why do people hate builders —Mark Tarrabain
   daniel ravenda wrote: > hey. whats up. douse anyone else have a problem with non builder > people. many people see legos as toy and play things and not as > art. :( > > Why why why. at home I am not aloud to build my parent say it is to > babyish. (...) (21 years ago, 13-Nov-03, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.general)