 Castle / 15765
Re: The Crumbled Brick Tavern
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 29 Jan 2003 04:15:14 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Tanya K. Burkhart writes:

<snipped>

I'm guessing you wrote this to initiate
an interesting story thread, so here's my
response to your prompt...

Scene:  A village, a twilit evening, a quiet street, a dingy tavern.  A
figure cloaked against the elements hurries toward the beckoning golden
light spilling through the windows and onto the cobbled street.

Upon entering the thin warmth inside the door of the time-worn common room,
the woman, for it is a woman under the concealing layers, unfurls the burden
of her woolen cloak and quickly moves toward the greater warmth of the open
fireplace and the comfort of a seat.

The tavernkeep steps toward her.  He catches her eye.  She looks disgruntled.

"Wine.  Mulled.  Hot," she orders.  The keep says nothing as he walks away
to fill her request.

Returning with a large mug of fragrant red wine, the keep stands over the
woman until she looks into his eyes.

"What's the problem, Tatyana?  The king again?"  He sets down the mug and
sits across from her.

"He's going to give my job to someone else and take my head off if there are
any more construction delays.  It's the queen - she wants everything just
so, he indulges her, and I get blamed.  And don't even get me started on the
budget.  He wants me to build the heart of a kingdom with what it would take
to build a decent hunting lodge!"

The tavernkeep shakes his head sympathetically at the master mason.

As the small, but quaint tavern stood at the
entrance to the city, the silver moonlight
filtered by the rustling leaves of the trees
before the pond aside it, it seemed strikingly
modest for a gathering point to the swordsman.

As he aproached stealthily from the inner
regions of the city, it seemed as though the
locals tried to avoid him, as his red eyes
pulsed in the breeze, and his black cape
ruffled about.

With a creak from its deeply rusted hinges
the doors opened slowly, as with the wind,
the man stepped over its creaky boards,
gracing the tavern as he took a seat. His
cape casting him in shadows, the bartender
approached him quietly, trying to glance at his
eyes, but drawn away from them.

"Will you have anything sir?"

"The usual...what she's having..."

He motioned towards the lass who sat
afront the fireplace in the center of
the bar's common room, her hood drawn.

"As you wish sir..." He spoke walking off
into the backroom to fulfill his request,
picking up several orders from the other
patrons, the smoke from their pipes covering
the back of the room in a veil of thick
and choaking smoke.

With a quick movement, the man raised his
bandanna to reveal his crimson eyes and
vermillion hair, as he approached, a look
of caution, but fatigue present in his
face. His ancient combat suit of pit raptor
hide seemed severely scuffed from the
abrasive torrents of battle, as he stood
before the lass speaking with his rough voice.

"You look rather familiar...you weren't
by any chance, a regular at the ivory
temple, north of the Fleance region? I'm
looking for an acolyte..."

So, what do you think?  Ready to share a pint with comrades and while away
the hours at the Crumbled Brick?  Come as yourself or your alter ego, ease
the aches from your bones in front of a warm fire in a leather chair, and
just be.

<<_Matt Hein_>>
Fellow lego enthusiast
O s p r e y