 Castle / 15730
Re: Activity on .castle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 27 Jan 2003 05:28:11 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Tanya K. Burkhart writes:

1)  We've got lots of lurkers and not a lot of posters?
2)  The people on .space are having more fun than we are?
3)  We need to have more inspiration from each other?

These are the general observations I've been
reading lately regarding we castle-heads as a
group.  Are these really problems?  Or are
they just an indication that we're adults and
we actually have lives away from our bricks?

They're sole indicators of that. (little time
I have is spent on lego...and y'all thought I
posted far too much! Such interesting
discussion as of late, though :)

Just wanted to chime in as well that I
appreciate your efforts! (We definitely
need to recruit more posters to keep
.castle alive!)

Blasphemy, I know....

~~~~~
She's a witch!
How do you _know_ she is a witch?
She turned me into a newt!
A newt?
I got better....
~~~~~

Okay, I'm going to be the first to admit
that I've been a heretic at times. (yes,
I do build modest space creations, albeit
my parts count is low.)

So, if these observations are _not_ really
problems, then:
1) There's enough interest here that people
are taking the time to lurk, and that's a
good thing.

It's hard to say exactly how many lurkers
are out there...I wonder if someone could
ask Todd for .castle mailing list info?
(or can he record the number of unique IP
addresses that visit .castle every week?)
These would be very interesting statistics.

2) Who's to say what's fun?  If you've got
an Army of Darkness/Dogma/Monty Pythom and
the Holy Grail sense of humor, share it!

Ah, I've got these...

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Osprey/Castle/WolfsInn/scene1.jpg

This was a small scene I built after
receiving a few more foliage pieces
from bricklink.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Osprey/Castle/WolfsInn/dashparty2.jpg

And here's simply a shocase of several of
my mercenary figures.

3) Inspiration comes from a lot of places - books, movies, comics, travel,
songs, spirituality...  What inspires you?

Well, I also like to draw...quite a lot actually.

http://www.lugnet.com/~1112/Anime

Movies and music as well. My favorites genres
are classical, jazz and techno. (particularly
piano renditions.)

If these observations _are_ really problems, then:

1) Stop Lurking!  Say "hi" once in a while, even
if you really don't have anything else to say.
Let us know you're around, what you've been up to,
even if it's not to announce some grand MOC that
you've been working on for months (2 years now,
in my case).  "Hey, guys, I'm working on the wizard's
tower on my castle."  "Hi, been saving money to
buy a Lego Storage Unit. Not much going on building-
wise.  Had a great idea, though..."  "Total
structural failure on the north wall of my castle.
Rebuilding."

My definite sentiments on that. Even though
there may be little photo evidence to back
up something, ideas are stil useful. (you
wouldn't believe some of the odd ideas I
have for parts application. Has anyone tried
to make a crossbow out of dinosaur tail
pieces? What about using a bunch of frogs
on the exterior of a dragon mecha to
simulate scaled skin? Bionculars and
lightsaber blades connected to a clip to
make a double barreled shotgun?)

2) Post a joke.  Start a Mad-Libs type
story that we can continue as a group.
Doesn't have to be complicated.  Don't
even have to be logical. ;)

3) Find something cool on BrickShelf and
post a link to it.  It never hurts to be
reminded what else has been built.  Post
a link to something you've built.  Post
a link to something that might be good
fodder for someone else to take a crack
at building.  Inspiration is a funny thing.

And it creates an incentive for myself
to build in a better fashion than I would
usually.

Just some thoughts I wanted to share,
Tanya

PS. I promise I will post my own pictures

I look forward to seeing them.

<<_Matt Hein_>>
Fellow lego enthusiast
O s p r e y