 Castle / 13112
Re: MOC: Phoenix' nest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sat, 4 May 2002 18:41:26 GMT

Hi Bruce,

"Bruce Hietbrink" <bnh@chem.ucla.edu> wrote in message
news:GvJrv1.Hnr@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.castle, Twan Theeuwen writes:

Very nice.

Thank you.

I think the bell succeeds, but I'd like some close-ups to see
how you did it.

That can be arranged. :o) A close-up picture you can find here:
Seems to me this picture doesn't reveal a lot, so here is
a picture of the dismounted bell:
The hub below is mounted to the cone with a 3 long technic
axle with stud through the hub.
The bell doesn't have a rounded top because that would
make the bell too high compared to it's wide (3 studs).
Instead I mounted the bell such that the top isn't visible.

Actually I've spend a lot of time trying to make a nice
bell out of lego. I consider them an important detail within
the castle building theme; religious buildings have bells to
call the parishoners to mass, castles use bells to alarm the
neighbouring country in case of an alert and you need a
bell in your medieval town/city so that the people can keep
track of the time-of-day. But this bell here is the best I
could came up with.
If Lego has to juniorise, making a bell would be a good
candidate IMHO.

How do people get inside?  Through that tunnel in the rock
below?

Yes, that's the basic idea. There is a bit of the castle on
the right side that's lower than the top of the rock, you
could imagine a staircase in here, the lower part of it in
the rock itself. But the model doesn't open and I haven't
build an interior, so I can't show this.

Twan.
--
Twanneman@planet.nl