 Castle / 13037
Re: A few questions...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 18:53:53 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Matt Hein writes:
I just told my parents
the learning values of Lego (I was kind of fictitious on that),
so they decided for letting me buy more parts.

Not so fictitious.  I am an organic chemist, and a large part of
understanding how molecules work is understanding their three-dimensional
structure.  When we teach organic we use these plastic models, but I would
say that in some ways I took to these plastic models so quickly because I
spent so much time with Legos (and Tinker Toys and Erector Sets) as a kid.
Here's a picture of a plastic model of a molecule, alongside of a Lego
version that I made:
http://www.chem.ucla.edu/~bnh/lab/labchem.html
Here is a friend's compendium of photos of chemists and their models
(including a whole bunch of Nobel laureates, and also me with the Lego model
linked above):
http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/dt64/2ndTier/OrganicModels.html

Bruce