 Castle / 13039
Re: A few questions...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 21:31:56 GMT

In lugnet.castle, John Henry Kruer writes:
Alot of questions:

Okay.  I'm game...

Which castle wall color do think is best?

Light Gray.  I do most of my Castle MOCs in this color.  Some would argue
just light gray bricks are better, as they do not limit you to certain
styles.  But I have a decent number of light gray wall elements, and I like
how quickly I can build a castle.  Even with the limitation of a prefab
element, you can come up with a lot of different MOC ideas if you have
enough of these.

Which castle set is the one you like the most? (out of any eara)

Really tough question, especially since it is hard to compare sets of
radically different sizes and price ranges.  A few of my favorites:

Huge: The Black Monarch's Castle (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6085) - I love
the style and it offers all the "good guys" something to worry about.

Large: The Black Falcon Fortress (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6074) - The
front towers made it look different than all the early Castle sets, and it
has a good amount of gray elements -and some rare ones too.

Medium: The Sea Serpent (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6057) - Just a cool
looking set with a cool name, a few rare pieces, and a decent supply of
mini-figures.

Small: The Supply Wagon (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6010) - The first set
(that I knew of) that included a peasant; also included some good supplies
and a round shield.

Tiny: Tie between the Black Knight (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6009) and
the Defense Archer (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/4801) - When available in
quanity, these sets provided a cheap way to build up a medieval army.

There arn't any light grey castle corner walls available in current sets, right?

None that I know of.

Out of the little sets of the current castle, which is the best for pieces?

Not certain what you consider "little".  Typically, the smaller the set, the
more money you pay per piece (unless there are electrical elements or
something special).  Except for the Legends and Classics, I don't even know
what is currently available for Castle.  You might still be able to find
some of the aforementioned Defense Archers.  Also, if you want to plan to
have civilian structures, or buildings inside a castle bailey, you might
consider any Wild West sets that have brown pieces for walls, trees, etc.
(if available).

Out of all sets avalaible, which is the best for pieces?

You could get a lot of brown pieces from a Fort Legoredo.  But in reading
your other posts, I gather your budget is tighter than mine, so that would
be tough to afford.  The Guarded Inn, if you save for it, offers a very good
selection of different kinds of elements, all of which would make a great
start to a Castle collection.  If they end up re-releasing the Black Falcon
Fortress (which we are not sure of), that is a good choice if you want to
focus only on gray walls and towers.

p.s.- I'm afraid my parents have decided that 'what is the use of buying
pieces you already have if you just add them to your collection...

Ouch!  Yes, lack of parental support can make this kind of hobby tough.
Some kids end up in a Dark Age because of it and don't get back into Lego
until they are out of the house on their own.  I had a similar problem, but
I kept collecting anyway.  But when I was your age (oh God, don't tell me I
actually just used that phrase!!), I had only money from birthday and
holiday gifts that I would save all year to spend on one or two shopping
sprees.  In fact, the first year I truly saved, I bought the King's Castle
and was very pleased (it was around $60 (US) at the time).

I learned to have a lot of fun with my collection throughout my teens, even
if I could never get every set I wanted or afford the better sets available.
After high school, money available for Lego increased only slightly - I had
a job, but I also had to buy college books and pay for a car.  Such is life.
Not until I was 28 did I finally have an entire room in an apartment of my
own devoted entirely to Lego.  Even so, with other hobbies and living
expenses, the only significant purchase I have afforded yet this year has
been lots of Trees from S@H - and let me tell you, I think filling the gaps
between Castle MOCs with such trees is the coolest looking thing my Castle
display has seen since I bought that first set on my own back (oh dare I say
it) when I was your age...   =)

Have patience and be willing to develop your Lego collection slowly, if that
is what it takes.  There will always be those who can buy more and who might
have larger MOCs.  But you can still have fun building and be proud of what
you have on display!

Cheers,
-Hendo