 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 186
Re: L3PLiTE?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 23:53:06 GMT

John VanZwieten wrote...
Maybe you could test to see which studs are completely contained within  the
bounding box of a list of standard parts (regular bricks and plates, etc.)
then replace a part with a simplified version if all its studs are so
contained.  I'm not sure how to phrase a similar test for the underside faces
and studs.  Maybe if a 2x4 brick contains 8 studs (not including it's own)
inside its bounding box, then you can leave out the underside.

I could see at least two different implementations of this idea:  First would
be an "optimization" option in L3P, which would direct L3P to run the
optimization tests, and make any substitutions in the resulting .pov file.
The original .dat file would remain untouched.

The second implementation would create an optimized .dat file which could be
viewed in any rendering engine, with the understanding that if you later edit
the file, you may get ugly results.  For Datsville, when someone submits a
house, I would run the optimization routine, then include the optimized file
in the town scene.

A general analyzer may be a good idea. As you say, the optimized .dat file
can be viewed in any rendering engine, and also, you can run L3P on it.
Of course, the analyzer could be compiled into L3P, L3Lab, LDLite etc.
/Lars