 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 177
Re: L3PLiTE?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 21:17:16 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Tore Eriksson <tore.eriksson@mbox325.swipnet.se> wrote in message
news:38DE84F4.380C9D43@mbox325.swipnet.se...
How about making a library of very simplified standard pieces and replace • only those standard bricks, plates, and tiles
that are not clear and have no studs or bottom visible?
I know there are some difficulties yet to be overcome, but I think this • could be a way to free up some resources for
Datsville and other heavy projects.
This calls for some kind of program that prompts for replacing parts • somehow, and I don't know exactly how that would
look like.
Is this something to work on with, or...?

Rather than prompting for replacing parts, the ideal solution would be a
pre-processing program that would render the model from say 100 different
angles, and remove/replace any parts/primitives etc. that never show up.

--well, no, that wouldn't work either, since in Datsville sometimes I go
inside a building to see stuff that doesn't otherwise show up.

Maybe you could test to see which studs are completely contained within  the
bounding box of a list of standard parts (regular bricks and plates, etc.)
then replace a part with a simplified version if all its studs are so
contained.  I'm not sure how to phrase a similar test for the underside faces
and studs.  Maybe if a 2x4 brick contains 8 studs (not including it's own)
inside its bounding box, then you can leave out the underside.

I could see at least two different implementations of this idea:  First would
be an "optimization" option in L3P, which would direct L3P to run the
optimization tests, and make any substitutions in the resulting .pov file.
The original .dat file would remain untouched.

The second implementation would create an optimized .dat file which could be
viewed in any rendering engine, with the understanding that if you later edit
the file, you may get ugly results.  For Datsville, when someone submits a
house, I would run the optimization routine, then include the optimized file
in the town scene.

It seems to me that if the proper tests can be designed, then all that would
be left is an optimization routine quick enough that optimization can be done
in a matter of minutes (on a large file).

This really sounds to me like a promising idea.

-John Van